Hello my name is Maria,My husband is in a NH for almost 2yrs. He has Dementia,

MnR

I would like if someone can give me info on braces that the NH is putting on him for his legs,He cannot walk so he is bed bound
and his legs are not straight, they are folding up to his chest,so they want to put on some braces to prevent that from happening.
Ive never heard of this so I need to known if this is good.He lost his sight and doesnt remember any family member.
I do go visit him 3tmes a week n hes lost alot of weight.Iam his wife of 39yrs.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
I would like if someone can give me info on braces that the NH is putting on him for his legs,He cannot walk so he is bed bound
and his legs are not straight, they are folding up to his chest,so they want to put on some braces to prevent that from happening.
Ive never heard of this so I need to known if this is good.He lost his sight and doesnt remember any family member.
I do go visit him 3tmes a week n hes lost alot of weight.Iam his wife of 39yrs.
Hello @MnR and welcome to Talking Point. I have never heard about the braces that you have described but hopefully someone else will be able to answer your question.
You could also also ask your husband’s GP to explain this to you.

canary

Hello @MnR

They way that his legs are coming up to his chest sounds like contractures which happen during the final stages of dementia.

Are you in UK?
Braces or splints are often used to help contractures with other neurological problems where you are looking at recovery, but in UK they are not generally used for people with dementia. What is more generally used are things like careful positioning and foam shapes to prevent damage. Im not a physiotherapist, though, and dont know the details.

nitram

Agree with @canary, my wife went into the foetal position, braces were not used, management was foam wedges and regular repositioning, every half hour towards the end.
Pads were also used to prevent finger nails gouging into palms as it was impossible to cut nails.

Weasell

I would without doubt be asking them to explain the reason that this is happening.

Make sure it has been approved by a qualified physiotherapist.

Also there is an opportunity for him to experience pain when they are put on. What is the pain management plan they have in place?

luggy

My mum's legs have been bent up towards her chest for a couple of years. It is something called 'contractures'. Her legs cannot be straightened. Braces have never been mentioned and, as others have already mentioned, they are managed by foam wedges and careful and regular re-positioning. I would ask the reasoning to be explained to you and, perhaps, speak to your husband's GP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dryngo