Hello - my mum was diagnosed yesterday and we are all scared!

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
This is something really helpful. Thanks for sharing in such detailed manner.

Just want to say thanks,
Hello @Claire P, you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

Do take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc.

Rubynoodles

Sep 25, 2018
Thank you all for your help and kind words.
Today hasn’t started off good, I feel overwhelmed with anxiety\depressive thoughts and panic for the future and I just can’t stop with random bursts of tears, anything sets me off, I just worry that mum will go downhill from now on?! It should be a great, fun-filled weekend as it’s my sons 13th birthday. I’m having to put my fun mask on and dash to private spots to have a blub then pretend to everyone that I have a cold!!
I have so, so many questions about Alzheimer’s going round and round in my head and no idea who will answer them for me (especially as we haven’t yet got any POA set up, I really want to talk to mum’s consultant).
How do you all cope?

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
Thank you all for your help and kind words.
Today hasn’t started off good, I feel overwhelmed with anxiety\depressive thoughts and panic for the future and I just can’t stop with random bursts of tears, anything sets me off, I just worry that mum will go downhill from now on?! It should be a great, fun-filled weekend as it’s my sons 13th birthday. I’m having to put my fun mask on and dash to private spots to have a blub then pretend to everyone that I have a cold!!
I have so, so many questions about Alzheimer’s going round and round in my head and no idea who will answer them for me (especially as we haven’t yet got any POA set up, I really want to talk to mum’s consultant).
How do you all cope?

There's a wealth of experience and knowledge on this forum. Just ask the question someone will know or point you in the right direction