Hello. How do you encourage someone with dementia who never wants to go out?

Geoff071945

Jun 5, 2024
I’m Geoff, 78 years old. I‘m the carer for my wife who is 76 who has now been diagnosed with dementia a few years ago. Amongst a lot of other difficulties I can’t get her to shower, get dressed and go out at all. Anybody experienced the same and have any suggestions?

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hello Geoff have you ever opened a can of worms, just pretty much all of us, honestly all of us have struggled with some of all of what you describe.
I had a shower, we had a shower, I get dressed, we got dressed, I'm going shopping we went.
It was like having a shadow, whatever I did we did, there is no one solution just about coping.
I did for her what I know she'd have done for me.
Copying behaviour I get part dressed then help her, we shower together, I go shopping/we get shopping, inclusion not instruction.
Might not work for everyone but it worked for me for something over 10 years wife and mum two times loser. K

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Geoff071945 and welcome to Dementia Support Forum. We are a friendly and helpful community of members who have experience of many aspects of dementia. I am sorry to hear about your wife. I faced a similar situation a few years ago. What helped me enormously was engaging a carer/befriender for a few hours one day a week. This gave me the opportunity for some leisure time. My wife quickly accepted her new friend, would sometimes have a bath and change into fresh clothes. They used to go out with the dog or to cafes.

Perhaps something similar could help you.