Hello forum my old friend, I've come to talk to you again (& Doctor failings)

sarahmcc

Apr 3, 2014
Hi all,
So, my mother-in-law's husband, Harold, developed Dementia some time ago and became quite aggressive and paranoid with it. My mother-in-law, Dorothea, to her absolute credit, coped admirably until the end of his life. This forum was really, really helpful during this time, allowing me to give her advice from people who'd already been through it all.
Now I'm back, because sadly her Mum, Barbara, has now developed all the signs of Dementia. However we have a big problem because, unlike Harold, she's been good at dodging diagnosis and therefore has not received the help she needs. You've guessed it - no Power of Attorney. She has recently nose dived and its become much more obvious, but her doctors practice is small and doctors keep leaving for better opportunities. So there is no way of a constant doctor seeing her decline. They ignore Dorothea's letters and requests for help (understandably - she's not the patient), but it means that Barbara can refuse a doctor's visit.
Is there any way to force the doctor to do more regular check ups? Barbara is 94.
Is there a medical body we can complain too?
We really want Barbara to stay in her own home, but she can only do that if she accepts carers coming in 4 times a day to make sure she takes her tablets. She WILL end up in hospital if she doesn't take her tablets. We ring, we've set up an alarm, but essentially she says she has, but it's either lies (she thinks she doesn't need them) or she thinks she has and she hasn't.
Thanks for any advice you can give.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
If this lady still has capacity I don't see what can be done until some crisis brings things to a head. If she doesn't have capacity a Court of Protection application may be required, but I don't know how you would deal with the capacity issue.

It may be worth while approaching the Local Authority on the basis that this is a vulnerable adult to whom they owe a duty of care but they may not be interested if capacity exists.

A difficult situation. It may be worth seeking guidance from the experts on the help line and the details for that are
National Dementia Helpline
0300 222 11 22
Our helpline advisers are here for you.
Helpline opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm

Beyond that, there may be something in the AS Factsheets that may give some information and you can find them with this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch