Hello! First attempt...

conventgirl

Oct 12, 2015
Hello,
I decided to joint. T.P, as my mum, who's 92, has just been diagnosed with Early stages dementia in Alzheimer's. That was following a referral made by the manager at the residential home where mum lives. I knew that mums memory was getting slowly worse , but didn't really want to believe that the diagnosis would be given. Mum did the memory test, then had the talk with a doctor, and simply received a letter saying the diagnosis. Apart from a phone call from the memory clinic nurse... that's it???
What's next? I have read up quite a lot about the disease, and have completed a Power of Attorney for well being. I just feel like we are waiting and watching for any more changes. I spend all my spare time with mum, she's healthy and happy, thank goodness. I might not need help and support now but just wanted to join, what I believe may well be a helpful forum in the future.

joggyb

Dec 1, 2014
Hello,
I decided to joint. T.P, as my mum, who's 92, has just been diagnosed with Early stages dementia in Alzheimer's. That was following a referral made by the manager at the residential home where mum lives. I knew that mums memory was getting slowly worse , but didn't really want to believe that the diagnosis would be given. Mum did the memory test, then had the talk with a doctor, and simply received a letter saying the diagnosis. Apart from a phone call from the memory clinic nurse... that's it???
What's next? I have read up quite a lot about the disease, and have completed a Power of Attorney for well being. I just feel like we are waiting and watching for any more changes. I spend all my spare time with mum, she's healthy and happy, thank goodness. I might not need help and support now but just wanted to join, what I believe may well be a helpful forum in the future.

If you can, I suggest you try to get Power of Attorney for your mum's financial and property affairs, too - this could prove invaluable later, or even now.

Also, does your mum receive any benefits? It might be worth looking into Attendance Allowance, for example.

And I think it might be worth checking in with your mum's GP. Even if your mum seems healthy and happy enough now, it could be helpful to her - and possibly slow the onset of dementia - to be prescribed medication. And if nothing else, I'd make sure your GP knows of the diagnosis. In my experience, memory clinics and GP surgeries aren't always very good at communicating with each other...

Good luck, and keep posting. TP-ers are always ready to share experiences and support :)

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Just wanted to say welcome to the forum, although I'm sorry to hear of your mum's diagnosis. This forum is great for help, advice and support whenever you need it, so do keep posting x