Hello everyone

Anne2024

Mar 29, 2024
Hi everyone. My mum has dementia. I just wondered if anyone knows what is the best thing to do when an elderly parent with early dementia starts wandering? Is it best to get a care needs assessment done or should I call the adult safeguarding team and register a concern? I just wanted to know what people think it's best to do first.

SherwoodSue

Jun 18, 2022
Very scary situation. I would do safety stuff first. Put your phone number in purse and several pockets.invest in the tracker devices also.

Bay Tree

Jun 19, 2023
Hi everyone. My mum has dementia. I just wondered if anyone knows what is the best thing to do when an elderly parent with early dementia starts wandering? Is it best to get a care needs assessment done or should I call the adult safeguarding team and register a concern? I just wanted to know what people think it's best to do first.
I'm not sure about what would be best to do first but when my husband wandered for the first (and at the moment only) time, the police brought him home and suggested I register him with them under the Herbert Protocol, which I did. They sent a lanyard, plastic watch and small disk which can be activated and he carries the disk in his wallet. Of course it doesn't mean he won't get lost but the police now have more details about him and where he might have gone and a member of the public could scan the disk on their phone to bring up my telephone number. Haven't had it used as yet but as I live with him, I now remove all the keys every night and try not to worry about what might happen in daylight. It might be a good idea to have the care needs assessment anyway and you could then ask about your concerns.