Heart breaking

Soc

Jun 18, 2024
My mam was diagnosed with Alzheimers about 2.5 years ago. Mam has managed really well up until 5 weeks ago when she was diagnosed with lung cancer. She has deteriorated so much since then. Refusing to shower and feeling depressed and crying. Mam has always been a strong independent women. She is not even aware she has cancer as she just keeps forgetting and we don't want to keep reminding her. Mam just thinks we are taking over and that there is nothing wrong with her. I am lucky as i am one of 5 but still finding it difficult. Has anyone been in a similar situation.
Thanks

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome @Soc

That is such terrible news for your poor mam and for you and the rest of the family. You are right not to keep reminding her. It won't help her.

There is a section on the forum for people with dementia and cancer. Maybe it will help to read other people`s experiences and post about your own too.

SherwoodSue

Jun 18, 2022
I am so sorry this is happening to you. My husband’s aunt had Alzheimer’s and bowel cancer. She qualified rapidly for full CHC funding and a place at a lovely nursing home found.