hallucination's

tonebear

Jun 7, 2023
dorset
This is really a note to myself. Today ( actually this afternoon) my piglet, totally out of the blue, said where's that woman gone who was sitting over there ( we have three armchairs, robocat has the third). At first I didn't catch on and said "who"? then realised what piglet meant, so I said she's gone home. Answer was" oh yes she loked as if she was thinking about going". No more has been said about this woman and i am not daft enough to pursue the subject. So is this another step in the dementia path? we will see.

maisiecat

Oct 12, 2023
From my experience of hallucinations they come in 3 phases. Hallucinations that they are aware are not real and are not bothered by, hallucinations that they believe are real but are non threatening and hallucinations that are frightening and start controlling what they do.
Its not necessary a downward journey it can be more like going up and down some stairs so the severity changes sometimes within a day.
If your piglet (such a sweet nickname) becomes frightened by them speak to the GP/ Mental health team and they will check her meds.

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
Hi @tonebear - there was a period when my OH would see people and/or children either in the garden or in the room. She wasn't worried or frightened, but would sometimes ask questions about them - why have they come?, are they staying? are they leaving? etc Or she'd say she did or didn't like how they were dressed - that's a nice red jumper, or the little girls got a really long skirt, etc She never said they looked like anyone she knew.
This would occur occasionally, sometimes more than once in the day, or not for few days.
Then the phase passed when I realised she had not mentioned this for some while.
If the hallucinations bother/frighten/etc your OH, r are persistent in time, then I think I would speak with the GP. It may be the meds she's on or that she needs a change of meds.
Best wishes

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My husband used to see a woman sitting in his chair. It didn't bother him and he was happy to wait until she had gone before he sat in his own chair.

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
Very familiar. Earlier this evening - "There he is" (pointing to chair)
"Oh right."
"He can't......"
"Oh no, it's OK"
Back to watching the TV.

tonebear

Jun 7, 2023
dorset
From my experience of hallucinations they come in 3 phases. Hallucinations that they are aware are not real and are not bothered by, hallucinations that they believe are real but are non threatening and hallucinations that are frightening and start controlling what they do.
Its not necessary a downward journey it can be more like going up and down some stairs so the severity changes sometimes within a day.
If your piglet (such a sweet nickname) becomes frightened by them speak to the GP/ Mental health team and they will check her meds.
Thanks that helps a lot. AS you guessed I am a bit worried in case it was the start of somthing else I was going have deal with. And no she does not appear at all worried and her meds are only for her heart as she has AF.

tonebear

Jun 7, 2023
dorset
Hi @tonebear - there was a period when my OH would see people and/or children either in the garden or in the room. She wasn't worried or frightened, but would sometimes ask questions about them - why have they come?, are they staying? are they leaving? etc Or she'd say she did or didn't like how they were dressed - that's a nice red jumper, or the little girls got a really long skirt, etc She never said they looked like anyone she knew.
This would occur occasionally, sometimes more than once in the day, or not for few days.
Then the phase passed when I realised she had mentioned this for some while.
If the hallucinations bother/frighten/etc your OH, r are persistent in time, then I think I would speak with the GP. It may be the meds she's on or that she needs a change of meds.
Best wishes
Thanks will bear that in mind and watch and wait.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Thanks will bear that in mind and watch and wait.
@tonebear , my oh sometimes sees a cheeky little boy. He makes my oh laugh. Generally though it is more of me he sees. He thinks there are others in the house and says they move things or take them. If he misplaced things🤣 He's not bothered by them

He also talks to himself in the mirror and says the old man is his friend. He always 👍at his own reflection. Not a hallucination I know but it may be something else your wife might do.

windyhill

Dec 9, 2023
My wife has been having hallucinations for at least the last year. For the last couple of months, when her sun-downing starts in mid afternoon, she is vociferous that we are living in her parents house (even though we have owned this detached house for the last 25 years and even though her parents have been dead for longer than this). When we return from our daily walk she goes around the house looking for her parents and other visitors. Yesterday afternoon after I had been out in the garden, she started going on about 2 little children who apparently had been lost in our garden (our garden is not that big). She was terribly upset about this. She then walked out to the shops along the road on her own and apparently was asking people if they had seen the two little children. By 6pm she had forgotten all about them and was back to other mischief like asking when was I going to make dinner only 20 minutes after she had eaten it. She was then setting the dinner table with 4 places awaiting our "visitors" who never arrive (happens nearly every night). By 8pm she was back to normal - or whatever passes as normal nowadays.
I have found that arguing about her hallucinations just creates another argument since she is adamant that these apparitions really do exist, so I just ignore it and agree with her.

tonebear

Jun 7, 2023
dorset
My wife has been having hallucinations for at least the last year. For the last couple of months, when her sun-downing starts in mid afternoon, she is vociferous that we are living in her parents house (even though we have owned this detached house for the last 25 years and even though her parents have been dead for longer than this). When we return from our daily walk she goes around the house looking for her parents and other visitors. Yesterday afternoon after I had been out in the garden, she started going on about 2 little children who apparently had been lost in our garden (our garden is not that big). She was terribly upset about this. She then walked out to the shops along the road on her own and apparently was asking people if they had seen the two little children. By 6pm she had forgotten all about them and was back to other mischief like asking when was I going to make dinner only 20 minutes after she had eaten it. She was then setting the dinner table with 4 places awaiting our "visitors" who never arrive (happens nearly every night). By 8pm she was back to normal - or whatever passes as normal nowadays.
I have found that arguing about her hallucinations just creates another argument since she is adamant that these apparitions really do exist, so I just ignore it and agree with her.
Your line about, whatever passes for normal nowdays, resonates I think I've forgotten what is normal. My piglet has not got that bad yet but this being our house for the last 39yrs has gone. She asked me yesterday who owned it. humm. You're right it is in the afternoons. Just ignore it and tell all the vistors not to react to strange uttering.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
👍 My oh sat on the bottom step( naughty step??🤣) for six hours last week with his hat,coat and shoes on.All because I wouldn't take him to see his mum and dad. Dad died 1985 mum 2002. The only time he moved was to let me go upstairs or to talk to himself in the hall mirror. He told his reflection I was mean because I wouldn't let him see them and that I had locked him in so he couldn't go! I hadn't locked him in, just hadn't unlocked from the previous night.
There was no distracting him. Wouldn't have drinks or lunch. Wouldn't go in the garden with me. I just kept checking by looking through the kitchen window. I could see his feet sticking out at the bottom of the stairs! Or he was at the mirror.

It was only at teatime that I got him to remove his outdoor clothes to eat and drink. First time during the day but happened twice at night!

GP given a small dose, as and when needed, of Lorezepan but I don't like to use it if I'm in bed and he's downstairs as there's a fall risk with it .

TonyDB

Aug 28, 2023
Hi windyhill, I get all this with my wife as well, it comes and goes and it makes answering simple questions (sometimes) very hard…

The “where did those (people / boys / girls / relatives) go who were sat / sleeping in our bed etc etc go? Usually saying “Oh they left” can cause a secondary issue of “who let them out, why didnt they say goodbye” etc etc.

Its all really hard to deal with, we as carers just do the best we can!

Worth looking up “confabulations” - there are multiple posts on the issue on this forum, it’s the general term now that seems to encompass all forms of visions / illusions / hallucinations associated with all forms of Dementia…

TonyDB