Hairy Bikers’ Meals on Wheels Campaign

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
A vital matter for those who need Meals on Wheels to survive.

For those who care about 'Meals on Wheels', just a reminder that the Hairy Bikers are back on BBC2 at 9 pm this evening.

But be warned - they head to Slaithwaite, W Yorkshire .... strip naked on the moors and raise their vitals.

Sorry, that should read "to raise vital funds". :D

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Must confess I wasn’t comfortable tonight until they said ‘Slough-it’!!!!! Since when was Slaithwaite pronounced ‘Slay-th-wait’? :rolleyes::D

Oh dear, such wonderful memories of Yorkshire which made me homesick for the people and the places I love so much ....... hugely entertaining, wonderful characters – the volunteers and recipients that is, as well as the Bikers .... but once again the main message that this is a service which is not purely about the food.

The daughter with her feisty mother explaining why microwave/frozen meals were not appropriate could have been me and mum. Oh and the ‘Bit o’ hake ....’ ... just adore this whole campaign .... :)

I’m afraid the ‘vitals’ left me cold :eek: – but Colander girls was inspired!!!!!! :D
Wonderful, wonderful, stuff!

If anyone is wondering what on earth I am wittering on about :eek: it’s here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b015gsx8/Hairy_Bikers_Meals_on_Wheels_Episode_3/

Kaz, x

danny

Sep 9, 2009
cornwall/real name is Angela
I watched it and thought thank god at long last, someone is showing how easy it is for a community to stand up and be counted.Now I`m not in favour of the voluntary sector undertaking the mass of social care work, but this program clearly shows how it can be done on a small scale, actually, it could be on a pretty large scale if many people watching follow suit. I`m sure that the people would pay a contribution to their meal too, not sure if this was explored.

I have now decided that to push on with the services I want to provide I am going to have to get out there and drum up some volunteers!!!! These women were able to give a couple of hours fortnightly so hopefully I can find some !!!!!

On a different subject did any one see the volunteers taking over some rural bus services on the IOW on the TV last night.Another controversial subject with the transport union!!!!

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
Another great programme. Truly inspiring. Due to weather (high pressure?) we kept losing the signal and so I'll have to watch it again on i-player! Mum watched it with me this time and she made some interesting points. She said that providing a hot nourishing meal and a natter are such a great combination but the natter is often very brief (according to her friend who lives alone in Devon) because of the pressure to deliver to everyone before the food gets cold. Her friend loves to natter but the lovely people who deliver to him are "in and out" and can't stop to talk (he can talk the hind legs of a donkey mind you). Still a brief natter is better than none at all and he looks forward to his meals.
She also said fish would be too expensive these days to include on the menu so - no hake I'm afraid love - well maybe on special occasions.

kazza73

Feb 11, 2009
Perthshire Scotland
I watched it through a mixture of laughter and tears. The man who said it was years since he'd been kissed had me sobbing!!
Very interesting to see how a community could pull together and provide this vital service, starting on a small scale but hopefully building. One hot meal a week may not seem much but it's a start!

I bet the producers of the fortnightly frozen meal deliveries are cursing this campaign!!

This week's episode was great in showing how a group of volunteers can take on this challenge and provide a valuable service. My one concern is that if this were to happen everywhere then it lets the councils off the hook and in my opinion it should be something that our elderly are entitled to.

I am still keen to get involved in something though- my enquiries continue!

Karen x

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Chicken soup for the soul?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b015r0jr/Hairy_Bikers_Meals_on_Wheels_Episode_4/

A marvellous, inspiring campaign and a fabulous success so far.:)

I recall Danny (Angela) telling me wisely some time back when I admitted I was sticking my fingers in too many proverbial pies around schemes and campaigns for dementia and/or elderly care and feeling I wasn’t making any difference that I needed to find one project that I really believed in to focus on.

Think I found it! :)

Karen, x