Hairy Bikers’ Meals on Wheels Campaign

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
It sounds a good idea and I hope they can get it off the ground. The trouble is it needs a little funding to get the thing organised and up and running. I wonder if they will be able to tap into the media to get funding for this idea.

The Local Mental Health Trust funds a lunch time cafe in the centre of my town. There are a couple of professional cooks and all the rest of the workers are all recoving mental health patients. Five days a week they produce a good standard main lunch time meal with a pudding and mug of tea for about £3.50. They also sell home made cakes on the counter. They now have a good reputation and are quite busy. I hope that the cuts in budgets doesn't affect this worthwile project.

xxTinaT

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
The initiative is wonderful – if anyone has chance to watch the full hour’s programme (and I understand it’s going to be a regular Tuesday night programme on BBC2 following the campaign) the number of issues they (Si and Dave) touch on are huge ... the ‘frozen meal’ concept so many of us on TP have had suggested to us and for all sorts of reasons is not always appropriate .... the budget of just £1.25 per person for a two course meal, where the post-code lottery (their words) even allows for the service to be subsidised and run at all ..... the chap looking after his wife with dementia .... the 92 year old who ..... the start of the scheme in 1943 by the WVS (before they got the ‘R’;)) ..... the reliance of volunteers ....... and how important this scheme is - recognising its role in preventing total social isolation for many housebound people, if it's just one regular daily visitor - let alone meeting nutritional needs – more than ever today .....

Jamie Oliver and school dinners – move over!;)

Love, Kaz, x

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Karen

I saw the programme and like you was impressed by how they have now highlighted numerous issues surrounding not just the food but all the additional services these volunteers provide just by visiting these people on a daily basis. I liked how they persevered when someone didn't answer the door and how they refuse to leave until the person's whereabouts become known. Whilst they point out how important it is for these people to be able to remain in their own homes, it became clear that they couldn't do so without continuing support and I noticed how no mention was made of any other support being given to these people outside of the meals on wheels people visiting them. I could feel the fear of the man who's wife had dementia and how he was worried that his own health would fail and that she then wouldn't be able to stay with him if he couldn't care for her. This from someone who is 92 and wasn't asking for much was he?

Also showed the wider issues when they were trying to recruit new volunteers too. Only 1 volunteer from a whole day's canvassing. It certainly didn't make the wider public look good on that score. I did laugh however when they served up the horrible food to those folks and then got another 5 volunteers if nothing else but to stop the frozen food being served up in future! LOL

I look forward to seeing how this progresses because, like they said, this is our destiny too isn't it.

Fiona
x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
The idea of the programme was good but the method of operation IMO was a bit `ham fisted`.

I wasn`t sure whether or not the kitchen workers were volunteers or not and sensed a bit of emotional blackmail there.
The `cook in charge` was put under enough stress to make her ill and cry off. She admitted she didn`t like cooking. Perhaps she was only capable of packing frozen portions into trays.
Then the `hairy bikers` were patting themselves on the back saying they had beaten the odds getting all the home cooked meals out in time. They did not take into account their own contribution, two professional, experienced hands , and the contribution of two or three office staff.
And getting people to volunteer when TV cameras are on them does not guarantee genuine intent.

I have done enough voluntary work in my time to know how often promises are broken. People say they will but more often than not they don`t.

Sorry to be negative about this. As the Series unfolds, I hope I`m proved wrong .

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
A wonderful initiative, as you say Kaz. I speak as someone who's experienced the slop often delivered by the local Meals on Wheels service, having had to taste it and encourage my own relative to eat it, while wanting to spit it out myself. So I hope this project really makes a difference.

I also hope that the Chief Cook who went off sick finds a way to learn a new skill that she'll enjoy: cooking. Once she gets to learn of the pleasure she and her staff can give to the likes of the 92 year old and his wife, she might just discover the value of her labours.

http://www.wrvs.org.uk/news-and-events/news/a-hairy-journey-for-meals-on-wheels

http://www.elmbridge.gov.uk/news/news.htm?mode=10&pk=4057&liquid=on&largetext=on&contrast=on

I like the way the Elmbridge meals on wheels leaflet shows a nice plateful, rather than those horrid plastic divided plates that took away some of the attraction of a meal.

I wish it every success. A brilliant programme.

kazza73

Feb 11, 2009
Perthshire Scotland
I watched this episode with interest. The quality of the 'original' meals was shocking to say the least. It actuaally made me want to get in the kitchen and start cooking up a storm and feeding those poor old folks!
The £1.25 budget whilst seeming very low is actually a lot more than most school dinners cost and yet these have been transformed in recent years so it can be done!

After watching the programme I am seriously considering volunteering locally. Not quite sure how I'll manage with all my other comittments but I will certainly try!

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Whilst on one hand I am inclined to agree with GrannieG about some of the practicalities in the programme – (I mean, come on, seriously – would anyone really go out ‘canvassing’ with a sloppy, unexciting ‘board’ like that to attract interest? – do you think that was actually a ploy to elicit more public ‘sympathy’ for the purpose of the programme making?:rolleyes:) the use of ‘celebrity’ to champion a cause can only be good, as we know from our celebrity ‘ambassadors’ for AS? :)

OK, they only got one volunteer that day in Elmbridge – but they reached Kazza in Perthshire – now that’s a result!!!!! :) (Nice one, Kazza!;))

To get these issues on national TV and have people prompted to think ‘What’s happening locally?’ .... and reminded volunteering sometimes means literally a couple of hours commitment perhaps fortnightly to make a difference (I know for someone hands-on caring that’s an impossible dream) ... is just wonderful.

It has certainly inspired me to make a start locally when in truth, I had forgotten the value of this service and how much it COULD mean to dementia sufferers and carers, amongst many others.

Karen, x

kazza73

Feb 11, 2009
Perthshire Scotland
:(:mad: Well I'm sorry to report that despite my good intentions I will be unable to volunteer for Meals on Wheels. sadly enquiries i have made have drawn a blank- our council no longer runs the service, instead they contract it out to a well known national company who deliver 2 weeks worth of frozen ready meals to clients.
I'm actually quite disappointed, it seemed like such a worthwhile thing to do. Yes there are plenty other things I could volunteer for but this was something I thought could make a difference to individuals.

Feel really sad about it:(

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Kazza – don’t give up! My first enquiries netted about the same result. I’ve got as far as discovering our local council does provide a ‘hot meals’ scheme but I can’t get anyone to tell me about it!!!! (Yet!) (You can only apply on line if you think you might be entitled to them – but I’m not going to let little details like that get in my way!!!!;))

Have also found two ‘Lunch clubs’ I never knew existed run locally by the WRVS – so next plan is to see if the clubs’ kitchens can’t be used to extend the service to the housebound ......

Then there’s local businesses (could I persuade the local high-class bakers to .....? ... and a few volunteers to .....?)

These things won’t change overnight .... but it’s great to have new inspiration to generate ideas, isn’t it? :)

Love, Karen, x

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0153hdw/Hairy_Bikers_Meals_on_Wheels_Episode_2/

Well, I thought last’s weeks starter was inspirational – but this was truly inspired – and proof of the pudding (ouch!) was seeing how a service providing just 40 hot meals daily from frozen/dried foods has now the potential to reach .... (you’ll have to watch it to find out!!!!;):D) .... with freshly made meals ....

Absolutely marvellous stuff, and whilst not dementia specific of course, its value to reach the vulnerable and isolated cannot be over-emphasised, surely?

Can’t wait to see what happens next week when they (Si n Dave) go about starting up a local scheme from scratch and start to roll out the initiative nationwide.:)

Good on yer, lads!:)
Karen

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Even better than the first programme. Just goes to show that you shouldn't be too quick to judge - and we all know about that where dementia is concerned.

Chief Cook seemed to be very happy :D - perhaps the first time she's been acknowledged for providing a service with applause and a good reception. Her customers also seemed more than pleased.

Those hairy 'Hairy Bikers' certainly managed to "deliver a difference". As for getting the local college on board ............. that's the kind of difference needed. If young can get to meet old, with the great sense of achievement they all showed, things can only get better.

Great stuff! Looking forward to the next programme.

Long may their difference continue to be delivered.

Wonder what else they could be persuaded to work their magic on? Apart from cooking, that is.

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
I'm so disappointed to have missed this programme but will hope to catch up on iplayer.

Thanks for the links.

Update:
Have just been able to watch episode 1 on iplayer and am impressed and delighted by this initiative - brilliant idea. We can only assume that Elmbridge is typical of the "meals on wheels'" kitchens that exist up and down the country? If so, cooking from scratch involves much more effort (and more washing up) and novices working in the kitchens will need training and lots of encouragement. Can't wait to catch up on episode 2 - will do this tomorrow.

Last edited:

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
Just watched episode 2. Brilliant and heart warming. I think the hairy bikers are great and I've just realised why Elmbridge is the featured testing location as the local catering college is the best in the country. That's not meant to be a criticism of the programme.

Just wondering who qualifies for meals on wheels? Is it only for single elders with needs?

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Just wondering who qualifies for meals on wheels? Is it only for single elders with needs?

Think that’s a key question, Jancis. So glad yet someone else is as enthused as me about this!!!!! :) With concerns about carers’ services – LA/NHS or private - rushing in to give meds etc ... this service – albeit mostly run by volunteers could be key to early alarm bells going off surely??????

I’m getting nowhere fast trying to find out from my local council how their ‘hot meals service’ runs .... but part of me is waiting for more inspiration from this programme series to just at least try get the right people in my borough talking to each other .. :rolleyes: young chefs in college need experience = meets needs of isolated people unable to prepare a hot meal for themselves ... I mean ... some of it’s not rocket science is it?

Not ashamed to keep plugging this fantastic campaign:
http://www.do-it.org.uk/campaigns/hairybikers/

I just KNOW my mum would have loved someone coming in to plate up a hot, freshly cooked dinner for her when I was at work ..... same old tale of people like her refusing ‘carers’ – she would have LOVED the social element of the service (never mind being prompted to eat, never mind eat well) and I can see sooo much potential benefit.

Spot the chappie in the pristine shirt and tie in Ep2?;) – many would wonder how he ‘qualified’ for the service? Then, we most on TP know ‘image’ means nothing to what might be going on in those isolated worlds .....:(

Karen, x

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
Just an aside Karen - hope you don't mind

The programme makes a good point about "image" in terms of the conveyed publicity of "Meals on Wheels" - which has been rather neglected.

It's interesting that many younger people do not understand "Meals on wheels" as they have not grown up with it and therefore take it literally as "fast food" -kebabs or whatever.

I also think that the Altzheimer's Society has a serious communication problem with their "image". Many people I've been in contact with think this wonderful organisation exclusively exists to help sufferers who have been diagnosed with Alzheimers. Time for a rebranding exercise?

:)

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
I don’t mind at all, Jancis – not ‘my’ thread – just something I thought others would be interested in and I’m so pleased they are! .... oh, and lead me not into temptation!:p:D

Agreed, some of the younger people’s concepts were quite frightening ..... ‘meals on wheels’ here to my son means someone on a motorbike with a pizza in his pannier, ordered from a mobile phone or online :eek:..... I’ve had my teenage son look briefly at some of the programme and he could see what it would have meant for his ‘gran’ – so fully endorse what JPG1 picked up on earlier ......

I might be on a bit of crusade with this, sorry – but I so remember the ‘debate’ I had with social services who offered me/my mum bulk delivery of those wretched frozen meals ..... and could not seem to understand that someone with dementia could not manage to follow instructions to warm a meal up and ‘plate it’ ... never mind ‘sorting her freezer’ was becoming a regular pastime until we realised it was a serious health hazard that she was thawing and refreezing food ..... and therefore a freezer itself became a no-no and had to be removed.:eek:

Maybe AS could get the Hairy Bikers to ask Saatchi and Saatchi to rebrand them for nothing?????? :p:D:D:D

I did love the dapper chap (again) who was reviewing S&S’s proposals and said ‘That looks rather like a bin’! :D

The humour and spirit in this whole campaign is just wonderful ...... hopefully why it is going to be so successful ...... and really will ‘deliver a difference’.:)

Love, Karen, x

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
I might be on a bit of crusade with this, sorry – but I so remember the ‘debate’ I had with social services who offered me/my mum bulk delivery of those wretched frozen meals ..... and could not seem to understand that someone with dementia could not manage to follow instructions to warm a meal up and ‘plate it’ ... never mind ‘sorting her freezer’ was becoming a regular pastime until we realised it was a serious health hazard that she was thawing and refreezing food ..... and therefore a freezer itself became a no-no and had to be removed.:eek:

My uncle lived in a remote village and there was no meals on wheels service. With the help of friends and carers we organised delivery of good quality frozen food and the carers agreed to prepare for him each day in the microwave. These meals were quite expensive. Something went wrong with this great plan and when we visited the freezer was off - we couldn't find out how long for and we had to throw everything away. Left to his own devices my uncle would eat bread and chocolate.