Hairdressers that are dementia-friendly

Lucyanna6422

Jan 2, 2024
My mum has early onset and she has light blonde dyed hair (and has done for the majority of her life). I’ve been box dying it for the past 2 years but she needs colour correction and her roots really bother her.

Does anyone know of any hairdressers (mobile or salon) that are dementia-friendly in the West Midlands? We’re based in Shropshire but willing to travel.

Andbreathe

Dec 17, 2021
Uk
I arrange for my mum to go to the same hairdresser as myself so I can brief them about how she is. My dad takes her and then goes to a nearby café to wait. When the hairdresser has finished, she walks mum to the café. I always arrange the appointments. This works well for us because I have an existential relationship with the hairdresser.

Andbreathe

Dec 17, 2021
Uk
I arrange for my mum to go to the same hairdresser as myself so I can brief them about how she is. My dad takes her and then goes to a nearby café to wait. When the hairdresser has finished, she walks mum to the café. I always arrange the appointments. This works well for us because I have an existential relationship with the hairdresser.
Meant to say 'Existing' relationship!

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Lucyanna6422 and welcome to Dementia Support Forum. We aren't able to give named recommendations here but I am sure that you should be able to find something suitable via a web search. I employed a home hairdresser when it became too difficult for my wife's usual salon to cope with her behaviour. The lady who came was used to dealing with people with dementia and in fact also served several care homes in the area.