Grow a beard?

Blissy

Jan 29, 2023
My husband has been unable to give himself a wet shave for over a year now and in fact started to say it was too messy then anyway. I have been using an electric shaver since then but it is getting more and more difficult to get him to agree to me shaving him. I only do it every other day anyway as no way can I get him to agree on it daily. He has never had a beard and my question is before I go down that route can someone tell me whether the care of a beard will be easier than trying to persist with a shave. Like a lot of dementia suffers he has a dislike of washing so that is another issue we deal with.

Chelseajude

Feb 10, 2021
Norwich
My husband has been unable to give himself a wet shave for over a year now and in fact started to say it was too messy then anyway. I have been using an electric shaver since then but it is getting more and more difficult to get him to agree to me shaving him. I only do it every other day anyway as no way can I get him to agree on it daily. He has never had a beard and my question is before I go down that route can someone tell me whether the care of a beard will be easier than trying to persist with a shave. Like a lot of dementia suffers he has a dislike of washing so that is another issue we deal with.
Hi Blissy, my oh has a beard which he can wash in the shower for himself. About every month he goes to the local barber & gets a hair cut and his beard trimmed. It’s very easy from that point of view.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
would he be able to wash his beard? im thinking that food might stick to it and need cleaning. my husband has always hated shaving but i dont like beards. he uses an electric shaver but i have to nag him a bit. he will go a couple of days without shaving but will do it after that with a nudge.
i have more problem trimmimg his hair.

Blissy

Jan 29, 2023
Thank you both for your replies. Husband won't shower and cannot use a bath so it would be down to me to make sure it is washed. Like you Jennifer I don't really like beards so it would only be a short neat one. At the moment he can get out although mobility poor so a trip to a barber would be possible and a good idea. If it continues to be a problem trying to shave him then I think will give beard a go.

Collywobbles

Feb 27, 2018
At the moment he can get out although mobility poor so a trip to a barber would be possible and a good idea.
Maybe you could sell that to him as a treat - a weekly men’s spa/pamper session, so he can have some time to himself?