Great grandma

HayleeC

Mar 17, 2017
I have been recently informed that my great grandma who has dementia has decided to refuse to eat her food. I've read many stories stating this is pretty much the end of life, I was just wondering how long you think it will be before she passes..? Any information will help.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Welcome to TP Hayley :)

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma. Unfortunately nobody knows how long, everyone is different.

la lucia

Jul 3, 2011
I have been recently informed that my great grandma who has dementia has decided to refuse to eat her food. I've read many stories stating this is pretty much the end of life, I was just wondering how long you think it will be before she passes..? Any information will help.

Has anyone actually suggested that this refusal to eat is end of life? If it is then there's no definite time to suggest. It's different for everyone. For my late father it was just a few days but for others it could be weeks.

But refusing to eat, by itself, could be a symptom of other problems including difficulties with swallowing, pain, teeth problems or whatever.