GP has never done an annual review

Pennyc

Nov 26, 2020
Hi all.
My Dad was diagnosed in August 2020 that he had mixed dementia and he was at the moderate stage. He has massively declined the last 9 months. He sleeps most of the time and his speech is very limited now. I feel he is now at the advanced stages.
Since my dad was diagnosed by the memory Clinic he has not been seen by a GP.
My parents used to have an amazing GP and he really knew them if that makes sense. He left the practice last April and my parents just got allocated one the GP’s at the surgery. Obviously because of covid they have never met their GP.
My mum looks after my Dad at home and he seems happy in his own world. I’ve reduced my hours at work so I can also help my mum.
I just wondered is there any point to an annual review? The GP has not been in touch and apart from the phone calls from the Alzheimer’s people to check how things are, we just get on with it.
As nobody has contacted us to arrange a review, I’m guessing this is something I should chase up. But my mum seems reluctant. She’s lost all faith in the Drs since covid as all appointments are either over the phone or they just send a dr who she doesn’t know them. My dad would have to see someone face to face as you can’t review someone with advanced dementia over the phone.
So Sorry for the long post, but for the people that do have annual reviews, what happens at them and are they worth it? If and when the time comes for my dad to go into care, they would be fully self funded and I have POA on their accounts. I just feel that If they met a GP who doesn’t know them then it will be just a tick in a box process. So just wanted other peoples opinions.

Andy54

Sep 24, 2020
From my experience once the memory service have discharged the person with dementia back into the care of their GP there is effectively no follow up. Medication on repeat prescriptions should be reviewed annually but this in reality is just a rubber stamping excercise. My wife's GP said that they would not change any of the meds relating to dementia unless instructed by the memory service. In the event of any problems arising with dementia meds a re-referral back to the memory service was required.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My husband was seen regularly by the consultants who diagnosed his dementia. His GP was only responsible for monitoring his diabetes.

The system may be different since my day but I don`t think it`s unreasonable to have someone to call on even to relieve anxieties.

We had an excellent GP but even he had no input into the dementia side of my husband`s illness. I did manage to persuade him to make a home visit to administer a flu jab when my husband was unable to manoeuvre his body into a taxi.

I have seen my new GP twice and had two phone call consultations. The practice nurses have seen to blood tests and flu jabs and I have no idea where my GP is.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Following diagnosis, no one was in the least bit interested in how my mother was progressing, possibly because I'd already moved her to a care home. The home had an arrangement where a GP would visit all residents once a year and yes - it was absolutely a tick box exercise. I met the GP after his visit and he was actually really nice to me, asking how I was coping - the first time any medic had asked, so I will always remember him for that. As for mum, he said, 'She's getting worse, isn't she?'

Says it all really. Never had a call from 'the Alzheimer's people', whoever they are.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Following diagnosis, no one was in the least bit interested in how my mother was progressing, possibly because I'd already moved her to a care home. The home had an arrangement where a GP would visit all residents once a year and yes - it was absolutely a tick box exercise. I met the GP after his visit and he was actually really nice to me, asking how I was coping - the first time any medic had asked, so I will always remember him for that. As for mum, he said, 'She's getting worse, isn't she?'

Says it all really. Never had a call from 'the Alzheimer's people', whoever they are.
i think dementia navigators who work for alzheimers society who are brilliant and can direct you to all the services you will need such as OT, SS, benefits, support. i couldnt of sorted out all the things without them.

Miss Elli

Apr 9, 2020
I think this feeling of 'being left to get on with it alone' is unfortunately very common. I regularly chased for new assessments for Mum as I believed I was far too close to Mum to notice any real changes in the progress of her dementia and as she lived alone I was in constant fear that something awful was going to happen.

From experience you need to get SS involved, your Dad should really have a dedicated social worker, though unfortunately they are often overworked and certainly not necessarily experienced in dementia, but you do need them on your side for any help.

After research and visiting care homes I realised I was constantly asked by management who Mum's Dementia Nurse was, she didn't have one, but because of this I eventually found a local Dementia Care Team and through them Mum had a visit from the CPN covering the local area (Community Psychiatric Nurse). It is also worth calling your GP surgery but though I did manage to get a home visit once I found they were useless and just confirmed what I already knew, asked me what my plans were and left me to it again.

It seems nothing is actually ever offered in the way of help, you unfortunately have to search and track it down yourself.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Also, beware of people offering simple solutions, because nothing is simple!

e.g. mum was down to 4 teeth at the centre bottom as the hospital lost her dentures. I wanted to get her some treatment/new dentures and was told - by a nurse - that the community dental team would come out to mum at the care home. 'Brilliant!' though I, that's exactly what we need. Took me ages to find a number. Took longer to get through. I was told there was a waiting list - about 18 months. The care home called them to chase it up a couple of times (while I was there so I know they did!) but nothing happened.

Mum lost 3 of her remaining 4 teeth and had just 1 left when she died. So - 3 years wait for the CD Team and they just...didn't...come.

pattyhatty

Aug 13, 2021
Hi all.
My Dad was diagnosed in August 2020 that he had mixed dementia and he was at the moderate stage. He has massively declined the last 9 months. He sleeps most of the time and his speech is very limited now. I feel he is now at the advanced stages.
Since my dad was diagnosed by the memory Clinic he has not been seen by a GP.
My parents used to have an amazing GP and he really knew them if that makes sense. He left the practice last April and my parents just got allocated one the GP’s at the surgery. Obviously because of covid they have never met their GP.
My mum looks after my Dad at home and he seems happy in his own world. I’ve reduced my hours at work so I can also help my mum.
I just wondered is there any point to an annual review? The GP has not been in touch and apart from the phone calls from the Alzheimer’s people to check how things are, we just get on with it.
As nobody has contacted us to arrange a review, I’m guessing this is something I should chase up. But my mum seems reluctant. She’s lost all faith in the Drs since covid as all appointments are either over the phone or they just send a dr who she doesn’t know them. My dad would have to see someone face to face as you can’t review someone with advanced dementia over the phone.
So Sorry for the long post, but for the people that do have annual reviews, what happens at them and are they worth it? If and when the time comes for my dad to go into care, they would be fully self funded and I have POA on their accounts. I just feel that If they met a GP who doesn’t know them then it will be just a tick in a box process. So just wanted other peoples opinions.
HI.
I feel exactly the same my husband has Lewy Body Dementia ,The memory clinic have been the people who have more or less decided on his treatment, The neuro surgeon who has seen him once told me to up the medication for the Parkinson's which goes with the Lewy Body Dementia ,but this can enhance his hallucinations. He right hand is very shaky so i sometimes have to feed him ,this is becoming more frequent .he swears shouts and gets really angry.
I have tried to get a face to face consultation with someone ,anyone and cannot ,I have told them he needs to be seen .and I can't get him to the surgery, the receptionist says they don't do home visits
He has been in respite for 2 weeks, so I could go away for a weekend with my daughter son in law and my little granddaughter he, comes out on Monday,
I have been to see him almost every day since I came back, but didn't go today I have a water infection, so I did need to rest a bit today.
I saw him yesterday even from Thursday his shaking has got worse ,and he was zoned out a bit more
It is just like you never know what to expect.
While he has been in there he was sick, they sent him to hospital because it was like coffee coloured ,we do have this happen sometimes,, I have told the dr they upped his omeprazole . Anyway I have now had a text to call the GP for a phone consultation. When I call on Monday I'm going to insist or tell her I shall l report them to the medical committee.
To be truthful I just can't believe the man I married 30yrs ago could be almost unrecognisable now
I always thought there but for the grace of God ,it is not us. It just goes to show you never know who will get this terrible disease.