Gov Petition: Increase Carer's Allowance

The Lone Carer

Oct 16, 2016
Dear fellow carer's

Please support the above / below (sign, share & forward)

Petition
Increase Carer's Allowance to equal 35hrs at National Minimum Wage
As of April 2022 Carer's Allowance is £69.70 a week for at least 35 hours caring a week, which works out at roughly £1.99 p/h. National Minimum Wage for 18 year olds is currently £6.83 p/h.

We want Carer's Allowance to be increased to £239.05 a week, to reflect the work carers do.

More details
Almost half of those living in poverty are disabled or live with someone who is. Many carers are unable to work, or only able to work part time due to caring responsibilities. Carer's Allowance is treated as taxable income, and is also deducted from any other benefits you may receive.

Less than 20% of disabled people are born with a disability, and anyone could end up with a disability, or caring for someone with a disability.

Petition appears on national media ...

Apologies, regrettably, site won't allow me to insert & share link's

Thank you

Kind regards

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Signed.

It could also be pointed out that many carers are providing care over 24 hours - it's not a 9-5 job. (You always have to pay substantially more for a waking night carer than a daytime one.) And maybe some stats on carers whose own health has been impacted by their caring duties. (Most!)

jenny-b

Aug 11, 2022
Signed
My CA ended last month when I turned 66. After five years caring it feels like the state telling me I don't care anymore

Libbybookworm

Apr 6, 2018
Signed
My CA ended last month when I turned 66. After five years caring it feels like the state telling me I don't care anymore
I never had one as I was already retired and receiving state pension. Can't have both apparently even though I had paid full stamp all my working life and was working as my younger husband's sole carer. However, I was told that my husband's PIP included a "carer" element.