Carers Allowance Query

Allypally67

Feb 20, 2016
West Sussex
Hi All,
Don't know if anyone on here knows as I can't seem to find the info anywhere else but as the National living wage comes in on April 1st will the earnings threshold for claiming Carers Allowance be raised?
I care for my mum who has AD and she has just put in a claim for AA and I was advised that if she got that (which I haven't heard yet!) I could claim Carers Allowance.
However I work 16 hours a week on minimum wage which is currently £107.20 a week,
this will rise to £115.20 and I believe the threshold to be £110!
Just wondered if that is being raised or not?
It seems unfair if it doesn't as surely it will mean a lot of carers will lose this benefit if they don't!
If anyone does know it might be of interest to many on here not just me.
Thanks.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I've not heard of any plans to raise the threshold.

Remember that half of any money paid into a pension scheme does not count.

Even if you are not in a scheme paying £10.40/Wk into one would bring your eligible income to below the threshold thereby retaining the £62.10/Wk carer's allowance. You would also get a small extra pension on retirement.

Don't sign anything that you can't get out of at a later date if circumstances change.

1mindy

Jul 21, 2015
Shropshire
Think its unlikely when so many benefits are being eaten into . Maybe thats the idea so many more will be unable to claim and reduce the government spending on benefits

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
I understand the earnings limit will remain unchanged but open up a private pension plan or participate in a work scheme where you can make contributions and you can off set half of any pension contributions you make. If your earnings are over by £10.00 then you need to pay £20.00 per month into a pension scheme. I would allow a few pounds extra as a safety net as if you go over one month due to unexpected wage adjustments the DWP will be after you.
Sorry just realised this has already been suggested.