Goodbye Dad

Amlama88

Feb 13, 2017
We lost our wonderful dad this week aged 66.
I honestly thought I had prepared myself for it...admittedly I even hoped for it some times when I saw him suffering so; but it hurts far more than I ever imagined. My dad, my king and such an amazing character, gone forever. We had lost everything we loved about him, but it hurts all the same. Just feeling so angry at the awful disease and how he never got the retirement he had so looked forward to.
Every one says times a healer...but it's hard to ever accept the last few years we had with him. I just take comfort in that we gave him the best care and so much love.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm so sorry for your loss.

It's right to take comfort in the knowledge of the love and care you gave him. Wishing you strength for the days and weeks to come.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I don't think anyone can really prepare for such loss @Amlama88 however much we think we have.
Take whatever comfort you can from the love you still have for your dad and the care you gave him.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I understand your feelings, I've admitted I'm ready for my dad to go now that all that is left is a shadow of his former self but my dad is old. I will still miss him when he's gone.
I'm so sorry, it's so hard at such a young age.

My condolences to you and your family.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im so sorry for your loss
I thought Id grieved for my mum beforehand, but like you, discovered that I hadnt. I think this is normal
(((((hugs)))))) it is all still very raw.

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
We lost our wonderful dad this week aged 66.
I honestly thought I had prepared myself for it...admittedly I even hoped for it some times when I saw him suffering so; but it hurts far more than I ever imagined. My dad, my king and such an amazing character, gone forever. We had lost everything we loved about him, but it hurts all the same. Just feeling so angry at the awful disease and how he never got the retirement he had so looked forward to.
Every one says times a healer...but it's hard to ever accept the last few years we had with him. I just take comfort in that we gave him the best care and so much love.
Oh my goodness, your father was young. I am so very sorry to read this. I understand your anger and your very raw grief. This awful disease. I am glad you can take some comfort from knowing you gave your father the very best care and all your love. My deep condolences to you and your family.

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
I'm sorry for your loss, and very sorry you had to lose your dad at such a relatively young age. Wishing you strength at this difficult time.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
I am so sorry for your loss.

It doesn't matter how well we think we have prepared ourselves for someone's passing, it seldom makes it easier when the time comes.

Yes, definitely take comfort from knowing that you did all that you could in caring for and loving him.

I hope that in time the memory of the dementia nightmare will subside and you will more easily remember the better days you shared throughout your life.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I'm so very sorry. I don't think we are ever really prepared. 66 is very young. Like your father, my mother did not get to enjoy her retirement as she was diagnosed at 64. She died 2 years ago at 79 but I was still not ready for her to go.

Marcelle123

Nov 9, 2015
Yorkshire
I am very sorry to hear about your sad loss. I understand and share your feelings that it was such a pity that your parent's last years were spoiled by a nightmare disease. As you say, your comfort is that you loved and cared to the best of your ability.

May your beloved father rest in peace; wishing you strength and solace. xx

Amlama88

Feb 13, 2017
I understand your feelings, I've admitted I'm ready for my dad to go now that all that is left is a shadow of his former self but my dad is old. I will still miss him when he's gone.

My condolences to you and

My condolences to you and your family.
Thanks so much x

Amlama88

Feb 13, 2017
Im so sorry for your loss
I thought Id grieved for my mum beforehand, but like you, discovered that I hadnt. I think this is normal
(((((hugs)))))) it is all still very raw.
Yes it's a strange feeling now he has gone completely. Thanks x

Amlama88

Feb 13, 2017
Oh my goodness, your father was young. I am so very sorry to read this. I understand your anger and your very raw grief. This awful disease. I am glad you can take some comfort from knowing you gave your father the very best care and all your love. My deep condolences to you and your family.
Yes his age certainly made it even more devastating. Thanks for you kind words x

Amlama88

Feb 13, 2017
I am so sorry for your loss.

It doesn't matter how well we think we have prepared ourselves for someone's passing, it seldom makes it easier when the time comes.

Yes, definitely take comfort from knowing that you did all that you could in caring for and loving him.

I hope that in time the memory of the dementia nightmare will subside and you will more easily remember the better days you shared throughout your life.
I hope those bad memories fade too. It was his funeral yesterday and it was another challenge but we did him proud and gave him a lovely send off. Thanks for your reply x

Amlama88

Feb 13, 2017
I'm so very sorry. I don't think we are ever really prepared. 66 is very young. Like your father, my mother did not get to enjoy her retirement as she was diagnosed at 64. She died 2 years ago at 79 but I was still not ready for her to go.
No, there is never a good time for them to pass. But I take comfort in that he isn't going to suffer any more. So sorry your mum missed out on her retirement too xx