1. Q&A: Medication - Thurs 22nd November, 3-4pm

Do you have questions about medication and drug treatments for dementia? There's no drug to cure dementia yet, but it's often possible to relieve some symptoms.

Our next expert Q&A will be hosted by Simon from our Knowledge Services team. He will be answering your questions on Thursday 22nd November from 3-4pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

Going to bed

Discussion in 'Younger people with dementia and their carers' started by tss502, Jun 12, 2018.

1. tss502

tss502 Registered User

Oct 20, 2014
    Hi all,

I'm having increasing problems with getting my OH to go to bed and wondered if anyone has any tips. He's generally reluctant to get undressed and looks at me blankly when I ask him to undress. He also says 'no' when asked to get ready for bed. I've tried assisting him to undress but he can become quite resistant. It's a difficult one because I am often tired and may not have the patience to cajole and coax. We do go to bed quite early - around 10pm - and once he is in bed he is generally calm and goes to sleep quite quickly, but it's just the process of getting him into bed that is the problem! I think the problem is probably around undressing and that he is confused about what he needs to do and why he needs to do it. Although sometimes he refuses to take his tablets as well (also taken directly before bed) and has been known to spit them out. I try to help as much as I can, eg: laying out his pyjamas on the bed, getting ready for bed myself so he can see what's happening, pointing to items of clothes which need to be taken off etc.

2. Canadian Joanne

Canadian Joanne Volunteer Moderator

Apr 8, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Perhaps you might need to get a little more hands-on to get him started. You know, "here let me help you with that" in unbuttoning his shirt etc. It might also be a time to move to more simplified clothing - elastic waistbands, no belts, loose shirts without buttons. You may already be doing this so I apologize if you are.

3. DeMartin

DeMartin Registered User

Jul 4, 2017
    Kent
    Maybe he’d be happier sleeping in tshirt and pants, then change in morning.

4. Tin

Tin Registered User

May 18, 2014
    UK
    My mum now sleeps in what I can only describe as jogging pants - they look good for day time or night and she is usually happier in the mornings to changing clothes, but these are always same design pants with elasticated waist, loose fitting in leg and most important, comfortable.

5. kindred

kindred Registered User

Apr 8, 2018
    Absolutely. This is what worked for my OH. Thank you.

6. Sarahdun

Sarahdun Registered User

May 18, 2014
    i agree with the others - after a period of resistance my OH now accepts (even expects) help with dressing night and morning - but in the interim stage I would let him sleep in anything so long as he slept. In the middle of the night I also found that motion sensitive lights (very cheap) helped him find the toilet (seat left up) without waking me too much.