Going to bed

tss502

Oct 20, 2014
Hi all,

I'm having increasing problems with getting my OH to go to bed and wondered if anyone has any tips. He's generally reluctant to get undressed and looks at me blankly when I ask him to undress. He also says 'no' when asked to get ready for bed. I've tried assisting him to undress but he can become quite resistant. It's a difficult one because I am often tired and may not have the patience to cajole and coax. We do go to bed quite early - around 10pm - and once he is in bed he is generally calm and goes to sleep quite quickly, but it's just the process of getting him into bed that is the problem! I think the problem is probably around undressing and that he is confused about what he needs to do and why he needs to do it. Although sometimes he refuses to take his tablets as well (also taken directly before bed) and has been known to spit them out. I try to help as much as I can, eg: laying out his pyjamas on the bed, getting ready for bed myself so he can see what's happening, pointing to items of clothes which need to be taken off etc.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Perhaps you might need to get a little more hands-on to get him started. You know, "here let me help you with that" in unbuttoning his shirt etc. It might also be a time to move to more simplified clothing - elastic waistbands, no belts, loose shirts without buttons. You may already be doing this so I apologize if you are.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
My mum now sleeps in what I can only describe as jogging pants - they look good for day time or night and she is usually happier in the mornings to changing clothes, but these are always same design pants with elasticated waist, loose fitting in leg and most important, comfortable.