1. Welcome to Talking Point - an online community for everyone who is affected by dementia. Whether you have dementia or know someone who does, we will be there for you.

If you need help using Talking Point, read our Help pages or contact us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk

Going on alone

Discussion in 'After dementia — dealing with loss' started by sunray, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Loopiloo

Loopiloo Registered User

May 10, 2010
    Female
    Scotland
    Dear Sue, I have been thinking about you often and meant to write before now but' life' gets in the way at times.

How are you now? Are the drains now out and if so have you managed to drive?

That is a long return drive for you, do take care about not over tiring yourself.

Love
    Loo xx

2. sunray

sunray Registered User

Sep 21, 2008
    Female
    East Coast of Australia
    #402 sunray, Apr 15, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    Loo, all drains out, community nurse visits reduced to twice a week, just one spot to heal. I have my son from Broken Hill here for a week with granddaughter Alice so much activity. I am feeling tired but it is a good tired. Went to the beach on Saturday and just sat and watched them both enjoy the water but it was a joy to be out enjoying the sun. Yesterday was local Show day so spent an exhausting day there.

I am feeling a lot better, almost pain free now. I have been driving locally for two weeks. Finished my Home Care package on Friday so it is up to me now to build up my energy and cope with housework etc as much as I can. T!here are of course a lot of ongoing scans and appointments but that is as expected. At least a few weeks before that begins again.

3. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Good news from you Sue. :)

4. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    Great news Sue! Take it easy now!

5. grouse

grouse Registered User

Nov 11, 2013
    Good news Sue, I hope your improvement is continuing.

6. Loopiloo

Loopiloo Registered User

May 10, 2010
    Female
    Scotland
    Excellent news Sue! Thanks for the update! Lovely to have your family with you, even although tiring, and to enjoy the sunshine.

Take it easy, it will take time to build up our strength again so a wee bit at a time concerning housework! Enjoy what warm sunny weather you get before your winter. The housework can wait!

Great to be driving again too, I loved driving and miss it terribly.

All the very best of good wishes
    Love
    Loo xxx

7. Canadian Joanne

Canadian Joanne Registered User

Apr 8, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    @sunray I've just caught up with your thread. I was fairly sporadic in my TP visits after Mum died but in the last while have started catching up.

I'm sorry to hear you have been having such health troubles and hope that everything has healed up properly and you are feeling much better.

8. sunray

sunray Registered User

Sep 21, 2008
    Female
    East Coast of Australia
    Three months now since the operation, I still have some pain at night when I roll over awkwardly and some problems with stairs due to the muscle behind the left knee being cut into. I look into the mirror and know I have aged due to the pain I had from the original operation but I know those who truly love me will go on doing so. I have just been to my daughter's for the weekend, celebrating Mother's Day one week late and found doing a lot of walking on grass tiring (we went to a local market on Saturday morning) but put on a brave face and tried not to show it. It was great fun just being with them, especially my two grandchildren. I am keeping busy with gardening etc so life has a better balance now. So will just keep smiling and see what happens when the tests start again.

9. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    Nice to hear from you @sunray and thanks for the update. Wishing you continued recovery.

10. Saffie

Saffie Registered User

Mar 26, 2011
    Female
    Near Southampton
    Good to know that you are able to garden and visit your family Sue, despite the ongoing pain which I hope will gradually disappear. Wishing you continued improvement in everything. x