Glove hygiene

TessB

Nov 14, 2023
I've noticed that mum's carers, although wearing gloves, don't wash/change them at all whilst doing mum's care. So, for example, last night carer washed mum's bottom and put barrier cream on, then carried on adjusting bed, putting cream on mum's legs and putting duvet over her. Is this common practice or should the carers be washing/changing gloves after bottom cleaning? Otherwise surely all they are doing is spreading grease/germs.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @TessB
OHs carers double glove themselves before washing him, then remove and dispose of the top gloves before doing other things.
Id complain to the agency

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Its only your mums germs, if indeed there are germs. Cant imagine the gloves were soiled or they would have washed/chnged them.

Do you provide gloves? maybe they have to pay for them themselves

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Its only your mums germs, if indeed there are germs. Cant imagine the gloves were soiled or they would have washed/chnged them.

I don’t think I would like someone washing my bottom and then continue to do other things to me or my bedding where I am going to sleep. Faecal matter can cause all sorts of gastro problems and the gloves are not just for the carers benefit but the welfare of the patient.

Disposable gloves come in large packs and are not expensive but our council provides them.

TessB

Nov 14, 2023

Sometimes they use their own gloves but mostly use the ones we have and which we pay for. I'd like to think they would have washed/changed the gloves if soiled but last night mum wanted me present whilst carers were here so I witnessed the carer doing everything with just the one pair of gloves.

TessB

Nov 14, 2023
I don’t think I would like someone washing my bottom and then continue to do other things to me or my bedding where I am going to sleep. Faecal matter can cause all sorts of gastro problems and the gloves are not just for the carers benefit but the welfare of the patient.

Disposable gloves come in large packs and are not expensive but our council provides them.
Exactly. And as an elderly person with health issues, mum is the vulnerable one here, not the carers so they need to be mindful of hygiene generally. Sometimes the carers have to help mum with a bowel movement so they would be spreading faecal matter when they touch other things.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
£2.99 for 200 gloves so literally pennies pair and I am sure if I looked round the internet I could probably do better.
K

TessB

Nov 14, 2023
£2.99 for 200 gloves so literally pennies pair and I am sure if I looked round the internet I could probably do better.
K
Ooh, where did you find those? I've been buying from Amazon and they cost £9.49 for a box of 200 Nitrex Nitrile disposable gloves. Don't know what the nitrex nitrile bit means or whether it matters.

TessB

Nov 14, 2023
I spoke to the senior care assistant who came on Monday and she said she always has two pairs of gloves with her so she can put a new pair on after washing mum's bottom. So it might just be an issue with a newly trained carer. Hopefully the senior will remind her and I will keep an eye on it.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Put "nitrex nitrile gloves" in as a search, but I got the from one of the local warehouse sized retail outlets (not allowed to advertise) so I won't name them but from what you've said wouldn't the really cheap polythene ones be OK most of the time?
Before now I've used sandwich bags as gloves in an emergency situation.
K

TessB

Nov 14, 2023
Put "nitrex nitrile gloves" in as a search, but I got the from one of the local warehouse sized retail outlets (not allowed to advertise) so I won't name them but from what you've said wouldn't the really cheap polythene ones be OK most of the time?
K
Thank you. Yes, cheap ones probably would be ok, they're just for washing/applying cream. I'll have a look on the internet.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
I don’t think I’ve ever seen any double gloving going on here …I shall watch with eagle eyes….

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
K

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
Some people can be allergic to latex. Even animals can. I have to wear nitrile gloves when handling bats as some are allergic to latex.

rob1332

Jan 6, 2021
Thank you. Yes, cheap ones probably would be ok, they're just for washing/applying cream. I'll have a look on the internet.
I buy mine from a company called Medirite and they are great. Just google Medirite gloves

SMBeach

Apr 19, 2020
Ooh, where did you find those? I've been buying from Amazon and they cost £9.49 for a box of 200 Nitrex Nitrile disposable gloves. Don't know what the nitrex nitrile bit means or whether it matters.
I big disposable gloves gif my business. I go through lots so bulk buy. I get mine at £1.45 a box. Medisupplies. Mine are vinyl gloves.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janet1980