Giving drinks

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
My mother can't hold a cup as her hands shake too much and so I have to offer her a bottle with a straw in it,I'm lucky as I'm here all day as a full time carer so I can offer drinks all day,is anyone else in this situation and worrying if there loved one drinks enough water,My mum has about a litre and that included 200ml of milk in morning porridge a day and it's something I worry about
I suppose mum can only manage to drink so much,but then you read somebody should be drinking 1.5 to 2 litres

Last edited:

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
It doesn't have to be pure water. Milk counts as it contains water as does a cup of tea. I don't drink water unless it has a squirt of vimto in it. I don't like water on its own unless it has bubbles even then I will add a bit of flavour. Fruit juice counts too.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
I suppose you have to disregard the amount they say you should be drinking in an ideal world and we do the best we can to get the liquids down,
It doesn't have to be pure water. Milk counts as it contains water as does a cup of tea. I don't drink water unless it has a squirt of vimto in it. I don't like water on its own unless it has bubbles even then I will add a bit of flavour. Fruit juice counts too.
Thanks

Pinkstuff

May 21, 2014
London
Hi there.

It sounds like you are doing a fantastic job of keeping your mum hydrated.
But if it is causing you anxiety you can self refer to your local Occupational Therapist and they might be able to provide a cup that your mum can hold without any spillages. Failing that you can buy them online or from mobility shops, they usually have a handle either side and a covered lid , (however it's worth baring in mind that your mum might not like drinking from something new). Also frozen lollies are a good way to get fluids in ( and you can make them yourself). Good luck

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Hi there.

It sounds like you are doing a fantastic job of keeping your mum hydrated.
But if it is causing you anxiety you can self refer to your local Occupational Therapist and they might be able to provide a cup that your mum can hold without any spillages. Failing that you can buy them online or from mobility shops, they usually have a handle either side and a covered lid , (however it's worth baring in mind that your mum might not like drinking from something new). Also frozen lollies are a good way to get fluids in ( and you can make them yourself). Good luck

Thanks,I have ordered 5 different cups from the complete care shop to trial differing styles and spout sizes,also I popped to Tescos to get myself some socks and noticed their tubs of water melon lumps so got a couple of them and she enjoyed them

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I just use one of the standard 500ml water bottles you buy in the supermarket, the kind with a pop up nozzle on the top not a lid. It means I can give it a gentle squeeze to help with drinking.
I've hardly ever seen straws work in the care home I think they're actually harder to use than anything else as you have to suck and swallow, do the same 2 actions at the same time and you end up with a lung full of liquid so I never use them.
I doesn't matter if it's water or not, the body takes the H2O out of any liquid be it tea, coffee or whatever your body metabolises the H2O out in either the large intestine or the kidneys as the contents of the stomach all get mixed up before they pass along the digestive tract.
The human body takes the H2O out no matter what form it goes in so anything with a high moisture content is good.
K

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
I just use one of the standard 500ml water bottles you buy in the supermarket, the kind with a pop up nozzle on the top not a lid. It means I can give it a gentle squeeze to help with drinking.
I've hardly ever seen straws work in the care home I think they're actually harder to use than anything else as you have to suck and swallow, do the same 2 actions at the same time and you end up with a lung full of liquid so I never use them.
I doesn't matter if it's water or not, the body takes the H2O out of any liquid be it tea, coffee or whatever your body metabolises the H2O out in either the large intestine or the kidneys as the contents of the stomach all get mixed up before they pass along the digestive tract.
The human body takes the H2O out no matter what form it goes in so anything with a high moisture content is good.
K
Thanks I shall get one of those next week and experiment,along with my new cups when they get delivered

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdieB