Gifting money from mums account now she in a care home

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
So we could use some money to buy her a new TV or a winter coat or essentials for well-being but not give away a few thousand for someone’s wedding etc?
Yes, thats exactly how it works
Once her money is depleted (about five years away) and we apply for some funding will they do a financial assessment and look at her bank statements?
Yes they will. How far back they go varies from LA to LA, but its a good idea to keep them all.

KittieS

Apr 16, 2017
Thank you. That makes sense. I think I will start jotting a note against any unspecified transaction to say what it was for so we can account for it. Thanks for all your help.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I think I will start jotting a note against any unspecified transaction to say what it was for so we can account for it.
That will be adequate, unlike a deputyship when accounts have to be kept the OPG will not be interested in the LPA unless they get a complaint of mishandling. Think of it as being accountable for rather than keeping accounts of.

Regarding deprivation of capital, if the LA decide it has occurred they will increase your mum's assets by an appropriate amount of virtual capital leading to a reduction of funding in effect meaning you would have to pay.