getting noisy

Zana

May 12, 2016
I'm not sure if this is a symptom I have looked throught he medical books but there is nothing mentioned in them so I thought I would ask here as you all know more than most medical books stacked end to end!

OH has FTD and although not to far advanced he is getting worse. One of the things we have noticed is how noisy he is getting. Walking the dog this morning he shouted everytime the dog got out of sight just his name but louder than was necessary. He is loud in the house and talks loudly over the tv even the news isnt safe from his constant noise.

This is a change in him, he used to be a quiet man and hated anyone talking above the news headlines or shouting.
He also expects instant answers, if he yells up the stairs to me Im expected to answer without any time to think or formulate a reply if not he gets angry that I'm ignoring him.

Ive had his hearing checked at the hospital and there is nothing wrong so has anyone else seen this or recognises it?

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I'm afraid I'm not terribly familiar with FTD, but I remember there were some threads going on this subject fairly recently, so I know there are others on the forum caring for loved ones with the same type of dementia, who may know more. I do have a vague memory of someone mentioning shouting, but whether that was a symptom of FTD particularly, I can't remember. Hopefully, someone more helpful will be along soon.

Willow Tree

Jul 6, 2016
USA
Hi, Zana--

Not an expert on the clinical side of this, but I DO know what YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT WITH THE SHOUTING! (slight attempt at a joke--ALL CAPS SHOUTOUT).

My husband has Parkinson's Disease and "vascular issues" (similar to the old timey "hardening of the arteries.").

His issues come and go, but when he has a "spell," he shouts. In person. On the phone. In the car. If he gets a little upset, the volume goes WAY up and seems to trigger some anger issues, which further feeds the shouting.

It is VERY strange to see/hear. And if one asks him not to shout, he'll yell back "I am not shouting!" So it is a great challenge.

When he is "normal," there is no shouting. But when he has a "spell," it gets quite loud. Confrontation is not the answer, though. This just escalates everything.

My advice is simply to try suggesting some water or coffee. I've noticed my husband's episodes tend to track with dehydration, stress, or being over-tired.

Hope that helps a little.

These are challenging issues, and I find the anger and shouting the most troubling, personally. But not much to do in our case, but let them pass on their own.

Hard to explain to neighbors, friends, and family, but sometimes, you help the situation by helping others understand your husband doesn't MEAN to be brusque or hurtful.

Best wishes,

Willow Tree

Zana

May 12, 2016
Hi Willow tree

thanks for the information.
this--- And if one asks him not to shout, he'll yell back "I am not shouting!" really hits the nail on the head as OH says that a lot its as if he cannot recognise his own noise yet he moans about other people making noise!

Yet another frustration and weird thing about this illness..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdieB