Getting a diagnosis .. help /advice needed

AmandaJ

Oct 28, 2019
my mum has been suffering from hallucinations for approx 5 years ( to my knowledge) the start appears to have coincided with a traumatic hospital experience..heart valve replacement which ended up with 2 weeks induced coma then furthe four weeks in intensive care. I thought hallucinations only happened when she has a infection. Infections have increased over last two years and her hallucinations seemed to be worse in hospital. on top of this she has had very extreme dreams for about 10 years .. she fights and hits out...
now her memory for words is getting worse and she is seeming more confused when no infection is present. She is still really lucid about some things but she had an episode on Sunday where she said her husband was lying to her about something ( following a dream and she cane up with a really detailed story which I know wasn’t true but a dream but the dream to her was a reality . She ended up in the street screaming for people to help her . She was admitted to hospital . To cut an even longer story short , hospital discharged her back to her home . They have told me she needs referral to memory clinic .She is talking about things which are dreams, past events and real life . Flitting from one thing to another . Talking about things which then evolve in to a convoluted story
She is accusing her husband of all sorts ... stealing ,etc
She told me in hospital , she has heard voices since her 40’s 50s ! She said she knows the things she sees aren’t real ( floating heads, people in the paintings) but she is also convinced that her dreams are real life events. I have read about Lewy Body dementia ( she also has lots of sweating ) it sounds so like her .. I have always been convinced it’s just infections that cause these hallucinations but now I’m not so sure . I’m taking her to GP tomorrow but what can they do ? This is so hard . I’m worried about her safety and that of her husband . I have someone from Social services helping and I think we can get 3x half hour support a week... and Im applying for flexicare housing
Sorry for the great long ramble. I guess I want to know do her symptoms sound like dementia and who is best person to diagnose ? And any advice ???

Lirene

Sep 15, 2019
Hi AmandaJ and welcome. Sounds a little similar to post operative confusion which, in some cases, never goes away and gets worse. GP should help and Social Services. NHS referral to a neurologist takes forever but everything is much quicker if you can afford to pay,! which is wrong but desperate times need desperate measures. Speak to everyone and anyone get all the help you can. its a awful time - for all involved. Good luck and live and hugs xx

AmandaJ

Oct 28, 2019
Hi AmandaJ and welcome. Sounds a little similar to post operative confusion which, in some cases, never goes away and gets worse. GP should help and Social Services. NHS referral to a neurologist takes forever but everything is much quicker if you can afford to pay,! which is wrong but desperate times need desperate measures. Speak to everyone and anyone get all the help you can. its a awful time - for all involved. Good luck and live and hugs xx
Thank You! This is so helpful . I work in social care but feel absolutely at a loss about my mum .. I will speak to the GP today and yes will look into private neurologist.. it is wrong but I am feeling desperate !
X