Gas

lacey1962

Jan 9, 2016
Crawley
Hi all
Mum decided to turn the gas on to make a bacon sandwich yesterday but she forgot to ignite it and nearly had an accident ( nearly blew the hous. Thank fully the carer arrived 5 mins early and turned everything off and aired the house. As a temporary measure we have covered the gas knobs over so that they are not visable to her and she wont touch them again. Has anyone got any ideas what we can do to deter her from trying to cook again.
Thank you
Sally

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Im sure I remember @nitram posting about a gadget that can be used to switch the gas on and off

Probably a lockable gas valve
3-4in-full-bore-lockable-ball-valve-bsp-parallel-f_10920_L_1.jpg

One supplier, maybe not cheapest, is https://www.bes.co.uk/lockable-gas-...MIheLNxdWx2QIVirXtCh3RHgh2EAQYASABEgIDV_D_BwE

New cookers may have an FSD (flame supervision device) which cuts off the gas supply in the absence of a flame they are only mandatory in HMOs.

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Yes @nitram I think that is what I was thinking of. Thank you.
I never had this problem as mum had an all electric house and our gas oven does the thing of not allowing gas to come through if its not lit, but I remember thinking it was a good idea

lacey1962

Jan 9, 2016
Crawley
Thank you
I will look into the lockable gas valve or replace cooker for one that cuts off the gas automatically if its not lit.