Funding query

ossettbob

Jan 26, 2017
My wife`s sister was admitted to hospital in June last year after falling & breaking her elbow. Very soon after, she was diagnosed with dementia. She fell twice more after her elbow had healed. The hospital said that she would have to go into a nursing home. 2 or 3 nursing home representatives went to meetings to assess her but refused to take her due to her violent behaviour. At end of November, they rang my wife & said they had found a nursing home with dementia wing and would be transferring her the same day.
After she had been in a short time, my wife`s brother received an invoice for about £140 from the home. He rang the man who had been looking for a home and asked him about it. He said "Don`t pay anything. We are dealing with it".
Since then, he has received 2 further invoices,each for about £600. He has been in hospital for 4 weeks so far after having major surgery for cancer so my wife decided to ring the nursing home to say that these were being paid.
She was then told that soon she would have to pay the full amount of £900 per week.
She rang the man at the hospital but got no joy from him. I spoke to him & told him that her sister had been admitted to hospital 3 times in the last 2 weeks, one for cut head following a fall, one for suspected heart attack & one for extremely high blood pressure and hallucinations & should qualify for funding as her violent behaviour had got worse and she was attacking the nurses, doctors & ambulance drivers with her walking stick. I also asked if a full assessment had been carried out. He was very hesitant but said yes. He said that he would investigate funding & would ring me back yesterday but, of course he didn`t.
My wife & her brother have never attended any assessment meetings. All my wife has been told is that her sister is in the best place.
I am 72, wife`s brother is 70 & wife is 67 so we aren`t young & we don`t know what to do. Any help would be appreciated.

jakiflora

Sep 26, 2014
Hi Bob,
Sorry you find yourselves in such circumstances. You dont have to pay anything until a proper assessment for Chc has been carried out. If your SIL doesn't qualify social services will carry out a financial assessment on her. I suggest you wait and let others sort it out. You have enough to contend with at the moment.
Jaki

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
On discharge she could have been eligible for 2 to 6 weeks of free reablement possibly in a care home.

I assume no contract has been signed with the care home, did anybody verbally agree that she should go into the care home as opposed to just accepting the decision?

Last edited:

ossettbob

Jan 26, 2017
Thanks for replies. Wife & her brother were just told by the hospital that she could not go home as she could not look after herself & that they would arrange it. No contract has been signed for the nursing home. As I said, they only found out she was in the home the day she got there.
Not sorted out POA either due to wife`s brother`s situation. He was booked in for operation just after SIL went into home. That was cancelled the day before it as they said he needed further tests. He was finally admitted on 28 December. On Wednesday he was transferred to a nursing home so I have arranged to see a solicitor next Friday to sort it out.
I think, as suggested, that we will just have to wait & see what happens. I know that our situation is nowhere as bad as others on the forum but it`s mainly all we have talked about since June. My wife has also had to put off an operation on her eye as she needs to be able to drive to see to SIL`s clothes, house, visiting etc.

ossettbob

Jan 26, 2017
Another query. Are my wife & her brother allowed to see the result of any assessment carried out & can they demand another assessment ?

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Another query. Are my wife & her brother allowed to see the result of any assessment carried out & can they demand another assessment ?

It depends what you mean by "an assessment". Before a home admits someone they do an assessment to see if they can cater for the needs of a person, care homes are generally private companies so you can't "demand" anything from them as such.
They assess if they can meet the needs of a person and if they can integrate the person into their home, if they feel not then there's nothing you can do, if the home feel they can't meet the needs of the person concerned they have the right to refuse.
If on the other hand it's the hospital assessment then without a POA for health you can't "demand" anything although it's unusual for the system (NHS, social services ect) not to actively seek the help of the next of kin and involve then as far as possible.
K