Full Of Sorrow

steve58

Jun 5, 2009
First of all I want to thank all the kind and caring people on this forum for your support given to me this year.
This time last year everything was normal. My Mom showed no signs of Vascular Dementia. She went into Hospital for a routine op and came out a different person. All the Doctors etc were puzzled and it was a neurologist who took an interest and transferred Mom to Birmingham for a month. He diagnosed her with Vascular Dementia. She has been treated with no dignity and moved from ward to ward for most of the year. She went into a Psychiatric Unit for assessment. It has been a rapid onset and instead of the usual steps, she is towards the later stages already. After three weeks , we were "invited" to an assessment meeting. We didnt have anyone to represent us as we thought it was just a general meeting to see how mom was generally. We were told very bluntly by the Psychaitrist that Moms needs are too great and she needs to go into a Nursing Home. She is doubly incontinent and not very mobile. She is scared and lonely and the only thing we know is she wants to be with us no matter what. She still knows us and when we visit her, all she wants to do is sit and hold our hands and talk. She keeps saying how scared she is and how lonely she feels. We want whats best for Mom. Its a hard choice. Every time we go to the Hospital, which is everyday, she is just sitting there in a chair, lonely and looking lost. When she sees us, she comes alive and just wants to be with us. The Pyschaitrist said if she came home, she would be worse and become ill. Three days later , we had a phone call from the Hospital saying Mom had had a seizure and we found out (by accident!!!!!!!!!) that it lasted for over twenty minutes. They dont have an Inhouse Doctor. She was sent over to the Casualty Dept for observation where she had another seizure. She was kept in overnight but was sent back to the Psychiatric ward where it was decided they would do the blood level tests there (for some unknown reason) We arrived at visting time when we were told Mom was in the middle of another seizure. It too lasted a very long time. The Psychaitrist said if she came home she would become ill. If she was at home we would have dialled 999 and got treatment. Can they have Mom sectioned. We firmly believe its NOT in her best interest to go into a home. The Psychaitrist said she would need too much care, especially with the changing. Moms pension surely could pay for a Night Nurse???
Vascular Dementia in so unpredictable and we KNOW Mom would want to be at home with us. What rights do we have. Who can we turn to?
We have tried Onside, but they seem to concentrate more on the Financial aspects. Do we have any say in the matter or do we let Mom die a lonely death in a Nursing Home, no matter how good it might be, or be with the people who love her and who she loves and still knows.
We feel we are going crazy as there is no help around. The Psychaitric Hospital seems to have more power than the Ordinary Hospital where they just want to free up the beds. But we are talking about someone we love dearly and want her around us, the people who love her and the people she feels safe with.
Has anybody any similar experiences? All we know is that we dont want her to die in a Home when she could be loved no matter how hard a challenge, in her own home with us.
PLEASE can anyone advise us on our rights

larivy

Apr 19, 2009
essex
im afraid i cant help but im sure someone will be able to just wanted to wish you and your family well and hope you get the outcome you want larivy

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Please, please don't take this the wrong way but have you considered simply turning up and removing her? It does sound as if you are listening to what the professionals are telling you at the expense of your own and your mother's wishes. The reality is, that unless your mother is sectioned she can't be kept in a hospital. Now, don't get me wrong, removing her may be totally the wrong thing to do, and may have its own ramifications, but if it was my mother, I think I would stop trying to work with the "system" and simply remove her from it, letting the chips fall where they may. Having said that, though, I do think you have to recognize whether you have the mental fortitude to deal with what may come. Mostly, the powers that be will wash their hands of you (which may be good or bad) but you may get someone who is much more reactive.

foxhound

Jun 26, 2008
I SO feel for you. I think Jenniferpa is very much along the right lines, but I would counsel against just whipping her out without agreement - that way risks big potential problems.

What I think you should be thinking about is getting an advocate (probably not the one supplied by the Hospital - in my limited experience they are rubbish), seeing yr GP urgently to get him or her on side, and then demanding a meeting with yr mother's social worker (I assume they have assigned her one).

You will need to think very hard about the practicalities of coping at home. How agitated is yr mother? Is she on meds to calm any agitation? Can she walk - if she does, does she totter and fall?

A night nurse would probably cost way more than her pension(unless it's a big un) but if she can have night meds to allow her to sleep through the night one shouldn't really be needed.

Just "dig in" and start the battle now. I am sure you are right in wanting her home - just get the system working. It will be a battle, but will be worth it.

Good luck - post here to let us know how each stage is going.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I know this is probably a stupid question but were social services represented at the meeting? My mum isn't as unwell as yours but after her stay jn hospital they agreed they would let her come home with a care package. It doesn't involve a night nurse at present but I looked at the Carers' site and I saw they could provide this. You description of your mum looking lonely sounds just like how mine looked when we visited. I do feel for you and hope you can sort this out. Izzy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sandzz