Frustration and fear

queenquackers

Oct 2, 2013
My mum has just been diagnosed with early-onset dementia at the age of 51. She's been having memory problems for nearly three years now - but for a long time she wouldn't admit there was a problem, even to her closest family, then when my dad finally did convince her to see a doctor, she was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid. I was scared it was dementia, but when I tried to talk to my fiance (now my husband - thankfully Mum managed a good day for the wedding, in spite of the potential for overwhelming confusion) or my dad (who has been, and is still working himself to shreds trying to hold down a demanding full-time job as well as caring for Mum full-time), they told me I was probably worrying about nothing, that she might get better on the medication the doctor gave her for the thyroid problem (which she would invariably forget to take unless my dad was there to prompt her - I tried once or twice, but unless constantly nagged she would usually pick the pill up, think of something else, put the pill back down and forget about it). Now I'm almost in denial - after being told for so long that my fears were unfounded, it's very hard to believe that now the best that can possibly happen is that Mum will only ever be as she is now, the symptoms of dementia 'controlled' by medication, never the clever, creative woman I remember raising me.
I'm worried about the future and angry about the past as well. As I mentioned, I recently got married, and although my husband and I can't afford to start a family just yet, I certainly hoped to in time. I was blessed with two full sets of grandparents while I was growing up, both of which played an important part in my childhood. I always imagined that Mum would be a wonderful nan to any children I might have, but now of course she can barely look after herself, and I can't help but wonder if, had she not been too proud to seek help at first, we might have staved off this horrible condition for a while longer. I know it would make very little difference in the long run, and I don't dare talk like this in front of my husband or dad, as I know how horrible and selfish it makes me sound, but I'm caught in a whirlpool of negative emotion, and there just doesn't seem to be any way to haul myself out.
Sorry for the self-pitying ramble, but I needed to say it somehow.

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Most of us go through a whole myriad of emotions but the good thing here is no one here will ever judge you, we've probably felt the same or similar ourselves.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi QQ and welcome to TP. I'm so sorry to read about your mum's problems and can understand your anger and your concern. It's sometimes good just to get things off your chest and you can do that here on TP. There will always be someone here to listen to you.

As I said, it's understandable that you are angry about lost time. Having said that it is what it is - lost. Try to give some thought to the here and now and how you can support your mum and your dad. Whilst medication won't make the problem go away it might help your mum have some more good years which you can all enjoy together. I do know that's easy for me to say but I have been living with dementia for so long now I can probably see things differently to you. My husband was diagnosed 12 years ago and we still have good times together even though he is quite far down the line now. Actually at the moment I am typing this in a hotel room in the Lake District.

Please keep visiting TP. You will get lots of help and support here to help you through the dark times.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Hi queenquackers

Sorry to read about your Mum and your understandable frustration and fear. I am a bit older than your Mum and have had symptoms for over 4 years, still trying to get a diagnosis I don't want! It isn't just about pride even if you can admit something is wrong there is no smooth system to make getting diagnosed any easier not least because noone wants to believe what may be happening to them when experiencing symptoms that can be so difficult. The thing that is hardest for me is being able to acknowledge it with my family because they don't want to/can't understand it. I feel it would help us all if we could acknowledge it together.

I am coming to terms with the loss of my abilities as they were and adapting to an unimagined and unplanned for future. I get a lot of pleasure when I am able to spend time with friends (who understand) children and they seem to enjoy being with me to. I am able to plan and do some things with them as I was always a creative and practical person, I still like to be. I can't do it all of the time but sometimes I can as the way I always seemed to. Really I want to encourage you not to write off the future as good times can still be found.

It's good you have found TP as you will get a lot of help and support here.
best wishes to you
Sue