Fresh fruit in care homes

Mumlikesflowers

Aug 13, 2020
Hi,

My Dad and I recently viewed another care home. We don't feel compelled to move Mum there but one positive thing was that they said that fresh fruit was prepared daily for residents. At the moment, I bring in prunes in the hope staff will remember to give with breakfast and I bring in fresh grapes mostly everyday and I leave apples for my Dad to prep and share with my Mum and I've started prepping tiny satsumas for Mum to have after her pudding at lunchtime. I was buying tiny packets of melon also from Tescos. There is a good reason for this in that Mum came became very constipated after a D&V outbreak end of last year. Also she's a poor drinker and fruit helps with hydration too as you know.

My question is, is it normal for care homes to prep fresh fruit for PWD or is it actually sadly rather not normal?

Fruit often sits forlornly in a fruit bowl and what does go out a lot is crisps and chocolate bars. Fortunately, given that Mum went completely off eating after the D&V, she isn't going down that route. There are freshly made cakes that circulate in the afternoon which is lovely but nobody seems bothered that they aren't getting any fresh fruit.

As many of you know, the weekly costs are eye-watering and of course, yes, a lot of that is because care staff should be paid ok and better, but it should also mean that older people are getting decent and attentive care.

It would help me in my conversations with the care home if I knew that prepped fresh fruit was a rarity, like the equivalent of spotting a rare bird or 50% do and 50% don't or like 'doesn't your care home do fresh fruit?!! Goodness I thought they all did'.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
My wife's care home offers a good range of food including fresh fruit and cakes. Having said that, allowing residents choice of what to eat is more important than trying to get them to eat things that they may no longer like. There are issues such as whether people have particular diets related to medical conditions and whether they are able to eat things safely. I worked in a Glasgow psychiatric hospital in the early 1980s and still remember a stramash over the type of fruit offered in the EMI unit. The point, as I remember it, was that certain fruits can cause a 'flap' that might lead to choking and/or breathing difficulties.

My choice is to be the bearer of (perhaps unhealthy) treats ie biscuits or cakes which I hand to staff to put on the tea trolley. I have never considered taking in fruit.

Last week I was helping my wife to enjoy some of her favourite licorice sweets when another resident asked if they could have one. I had no objection but checked first with a staff member that this was suitable. No was the answer. However the resident did not go without as the staff member gave her a chocolate instead.

I am perhaps a little more circumspect about imposing my choice of what is a proper diet on others who may have specific needs.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
There is always fruit available in mum’s home, but it’s rarely offered apart from when in a crumble. I spoke about this as mum is overweight and of course she is in the exception and most of the rest of them need the calories and prefer the puddings!

I am able to visit every day so bring mum in a smoothie of fruit plus Greek yoghutr which she loves. I tend to try and ensure she has a taste of the puddings but not too much!

Suzysheep01

Jan 14, 2023
My mums home often have fresh fruit for mid morning snack. Melon, strawberries, apples.. all sliced up and presented nicely.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Fresh apples, grapes and satsumas make my OH cough and choke. He is OK with bananas, but because of the problems with "firm" fruit he is not allowed fresh fruit when he goes into respite at a nursing home.

My mums care home didnt serve fresh fruit just in case other residents (who having dementia, didnt remember that it made them choke) accidently ate some

Yankeeabroad

Oct 24, 2021
My mom’s nursing home had ice cream on offer if you asked. They did also have fresh chopped fruit most of the time (not always in winter). I could also bring in food and leave in the refrigerator in the kitchen as long as it was labelled (date and name). I brought in salads (never enough served for my mom) and then homemade thick soups when she went off food.

The kitchen staff knew which residents had problems with food and if they had any doubt they’d ask or withhold.

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
I asked that my late husband be given mixed fresh fruit and Greek yoghurt for breakfast and they did so. I also witnessed others being Asked food preferences. One thing which shocked me to the core was the provision of puréed food. My husband eventually needed this and I had to make several complaints and eventually had a meeting with the manager and the chef.

I would ask for favourite foods to be given. You are paying for your Mum’s care after all.

Mumlikesflowers

Aug 13, 2020
Hmmm....it's good for me to be aware that someone might say 'we don't do that because of the risk of choking'. I've flagged up myself where food served looked positively dangerous. Personalised care takes times and effort, 'one size fits all' less so on the surface. I think there should be an expectation that fresh fruit for PWD is part of a healthy offer and if some homes can do it safely, then best practice should be shared. There are risks with crisps and chocolate. There are different kinds of risk.

deepthy

Mar 6, 2024
Hello, we will be have a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables, known for their numerous health benefits. I highly recommend incorporating fresh fruits into your diet, as they are exceptionally nutritious and beneficial for individuals of all ages and backgrounds.

maisiecat

Oct 12, 2023
There is fruit available in my husband's care home but I always take a piece of fruit in every day so he is supervised eating it. He has parkinsons and can choke but he does like fruit.
On the coffee trolley there is often chopped fruit in yoghurt which he likes.

Toopie28

Jun 7, 2022
Nope. Cakes, biccies and chocolates at Ma's place. No fruit. I used to bring some in but she only knew how to eat (peel) a banana.

But mind, when I was in the hospital in the heart attack unit they served the MOST fattening and unhealthily foods available. I was the only one that stopped eating as others gained weight waiting for their surgery 🙈