Forward Ho!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Sheep are good. We now have cattle again in the field at the bottom of the garden. Hope your arthritis is easier today. xx

It is thanks. Shoulder is quite stiff and sore, but I'm sure it will ease. Off to work this morning.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Well, the last few days were busy - I've been pulling nettles out by hand (nettles as tall as myself). And watering the polytunnel by carrying buckets down, two at a time. Dau says "Why don't you use the hose? It would be much easier!" - but then, I just might end up, as certain young ladies just have, bewailing the fact that my tummy and hips are bigger than they used to be!! :D:D Carrying heavy water buckets and pulling nettles by the hour is so good for both bingo wings and tummy muscles!:D

Maybe later today I will make a start on the thistles - not pulling as I couldn't manage that, but with a sickle (think Russia's flag - hammer & sickle!) cutting them off at ground level. Some of them are several centimeters thick at the base, and easily as tall as I am by now. Shouldn't have let it get so out of hand. Already though, the hens are much happier with the space I've cleared for them by getting rid of the nettles.

William is doing well. He is able to walk with the support of leaning on someone's arm. The physio hopes he will get strong enough to be able to walk with his walking stick again. She said she doesn't really understand why the hospital says his swallow is so bad though. It wouldn't usually go so suddenly, and he had been swallowing ok before he went in. She reckons that possibly William was simply frightened and disoriented, and too, that they just didn't have the time in the hospital to spend feeding him, so he felt rushed. Who knows? I do know though that he was occasionally choking on food and drink before he went to the hospital, and it was aspiration pneumonia that he had. But he's back in the dining room for meals, eating at a table with other people. So doing very well. Other times, he's still in his big wheeled armchair, but they leave it tilted back a bit, so he can't try and get up and walk away himself, because he can't support himself, and would fall.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Well, the last few days were busy - I've been pulling nettles out by hand (nettles as tall as myself). And watering the polytunnel by carrying buckets down, two at a time. Dau says "Why don't you use the hose? It would be much easier!" - but then, I just might end up, as certain young ladies just have, bewailing the fact that my tummy and hips are bigger than they used to be!! :D:D Carrying heavy water buckets and pulling nettles by the hour is so good for both bingo wings and tummy muscles!:D

Maybe later today I will make a start on the thistles - not pulling as I couldn't manage that, but with a sickle (think Russia's flag - hammer & sickle!) cutting them off at ground level. Some of them are several centimeters thick at the base, and easily as tall as I am by now. Shouldn't have let it get so out of hand. Already though, the hens are much happier with the space I've cleared for them by getting rid of the nettles.

William is doing well. He is able to walk with the support of leaning on someone's arm. The physio hopes he will get strong enough to be able to walk with his walking stick again. She said she doesn't really understand why the hospital says his swallow is so bad though. It wouldn't usually go so suddenly, and he had been swallowing ok before he went in. She reckons that possibly William was simply frightened and disoriented, and too, that they just didn't have the time in the hospital to spend feeding him, so he felt rushed. Who knows? I do know though that he was occasionally choking on food and drink before he went to the hospital, and it was aspiration pneumonia that he had. But he's back in the dining room for meals, eating at a table with other people. So doing very well. Other times, he's still in his big wheeled armchair, but they leave it tilted back a bit, so he can't try and get up and walk away himself, because he can't support himself, and would fall.

Oh that's lovely news about William and the staff are caring too:) nettles :eek: I do not like them at all . Got loads between fences so got to tackle them too. Don't over do it though and be kind to yourself much love xxxxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Well-that's an improvement by William-well done the CH for doing so well in getting W mobile. :)

The thing is with swallowing it seems to be like everything else with Dementia, Everyone is different. About 6 months before Pete went to his CH he started to have a bit of occasional problems when swallowing. It was almost like he had phlegm in his throat and he couldn't clear it-he sort of gurgled if that makes any sense.

Then in the CH he occasionally 'hamstered' his food/drink in his cheeks-I think at times he forgot to chew and swallow.Then he started to choke-so it was pureed foods. So all in all it was two years from start to end. Horrible to watch.

Be careful with those stingers!

Love

Lyn T XX

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Glad to hear about William. Aren't we lucky with our care homes? Shouldn't have to say that really, everyone should have the same standard of care and I'm sure that the majority are very good. It's just the bad ones we hear about.
You do have a lot of ground to tend to, LadyA. No wonder you are so slim. Did you ever do anything with your 'bamboo' stones?

Fred has started 'hamstering food too. Am amazed at how much he manages to put in his mouth. Try and stop him when I'm there at meal times and have asked carers to watch him when he eats. Difficult for them tho when they are helping to feed those who can no longer manage by themselves.

BTY, I finally had allergy tests done for my poor puss and her fur pulling. Results show 17 positives, the main ones being plants, weeds, tree pollen, etc, followed by allergy to chicken, turkey, duck, etc. So, as I can't suddenly start making her into house cat when she loves being out in the field at the back of our garden, it looks as tho the next step is either a specially made to measure serum to combat these allergies or immune boosting medication at near £100 a bottle plus special prescribed vertinerary diet. Perhaps they should do these tests on animals when rehoming them so that we know what we are letting ourselves in for. Still, love her to bits now so have to repay her for her affection and company!

Last edited:

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Glad to hear about William. Aren't we lucky with our care homes? Shouldn't have to say that really, everyone should have the same standard of care and I'm sure that the majority are very good. It's just the bad ones we hear about.
You do have a lot of ground to tend to, LadyA. No wonder you are so slim. Did you ever do anything with your 'bamboo' stones?

Fred has started 'hamstering food too. Am amazed at how much he manages to put in his mouth. Try and stop him when I'm there at meal times and have asked carers to watch him when he eats. Difficult for them tho when they are helping to feed those who can no longer manage by themselves.

BTY, I finally had allergy tests done for my poor puss and her fur pulling. Results show 17 positives, the main ones being plants, weeds, tree pollen, etc, followed by allergy to chicken, turkey, duck, etc. So, as I can't suddenly start making her into house cat when she loves being out in the field at the back of our garden, it looks as tho the next step is either a specially made to measure serum to combat these allergies or immune boosting medication at near £100 a bottle plus special prescribed vertinerary diet. Perhaps they should do these tests on animals when rehoming them so that we know what we are letting ourselves in for. Still, love her to bits now so have to repay her for her affection and company!

Vets are so expensive aren't they! Ladyboy cost a fortune in vet fees. So far he is ok ish but a little bit prolapsed again so vets said to watch how it goes for a while xxx

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
Vets are so expensive aren't they! Ladyboy cost a fortune in vet fees. So far he is ok ish but a little bit prolapsed again so vets said to watch how it goes for a while xxx

You should have seen the vets bill for my last horse, if he hadn't been insured I would have needed a 2nd mortgage.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
My cats have all been strays, and I've never had them insured. The vet's receptionist put it this way: The chances of them needing any expensive treatment (being stray moggies) were relatively small - and insurance doesn't cover the routine stuff like vaccinations etc. So she suggested putting a tenner a month per cat away myself "in case" - that way I'd still have the money if I never needed it for vets fees, but I would have it for vet's fees if I did need it! Her system worked very well! The only cat I needed it for was Muffin, who cost me €450 for his surgery and stay in vet hospital.

Verity, that's awful about your cat! TBH, I've never heard of a cat with that many allergies. And it must surely be unusual to have a carnivorous animal allergic to so much in the meat line! Poor Katie.

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
My cats have all been strays, and I've never had them insured. The vet's receptionist put it this way: The chances of them needing any expensive treatment (being stray moggies) were relatively small - and insurance doesn't cover the routine stuff like vaccinations etc. So she suggested putting a tenner a month per cat away myself "in case" - that way I'd still have the money if I never needed it for vets fees, but I would have it for vet's fees if I did need it! Her system worked very well! The only cat I needed it for was Muffin, who cost me €450 for his surgery and stay in vet hospital.

Verity, that's awful about your cat! TBH, I've never heard of a cat with that many allergies. And it must surely be unusual to have a carnivorous animal allergic to so much in the meat line! Poor Katie.

My cocker spaniel needed back surgery which cost £4,000, I don't think the insurance company ever made a profit out of him.

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Unfortunately was unable to insure Katie to include fur pulling as it was a pre-existing condition. Wonder how much of it is genetic and how much malnutrition and neglect before rescue.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
My cocker spaniel needed back surgery which cost £4,000, I don't think the insurance company ever made a profit out of him.

Well, I have to be honest, if any of my cats had needed that kind of expense, I simply couldn't afford it. They'd have had to be pts, much as I love them. From what I understand, the insurance premium goes up with the pet's age, which seems unfair if you've insured them from when they were young, and not claimed. My remaining cat, Lizzy, is too old to be insured. And our original cat, Misty, who died about eighteen months ago, was 21 when she died. Only ever went to the vet for her vaccination boosters!

I'm here scoffing my tea - those big, flat Portobello mushrooms, stuffed with buttered breadcrumbs & grated cheese, and baked in the oven. Totally delish! Miss Lizzy is sitting under the table, yowling for her share, which she is NOT getting! :D

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Mmm love Portobello mushrooms. Did you put garlic in?
Good to hear how well William is doing. Hope you're recovering from the stress Lady A and your shoulder is better - sounds like it from the nettle pulling!!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Me me for mushrooms too please. Love those big ones stuffed. Photo of sky over Bristol Channel a few moments ago. We do get beautiful sunsets even after stormy days. Think this might be upside down!

Attachments

• 1433624932862.jpg
    1433624932862.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 444