Forward Ho!

Rathbone

May 17, 2014
West Sussex
Well done you, LadyA, for sticking to your guns about GMOs. I feel just the same and I wish we could say the same about the rest of the food chain. I do not drink milk and I try to avoid foods made with milk which is not organic - the amount of ABs which are in non organic are legion; you will know I'm sure that the cows get ABs to counter mastitis.
IMHO and experience, the clothing problem is purely down to whether the staff can be bothered or not. They bang on about labelling and then ignore them it seems. In MILs NH, her washing was all placed in a net bag hanging behind the bathroom door, which then went into the washing machine, so it was - supposedly - all kept together. Not a bit of it! I used to find her in all sorts of outfits and I nearly went round the bend having to tidy up and sort out the wardrobe on every visit. Good luck, I hope William's things land in the right place soon. Lovely stove........I can imagine you all toasty and warm of an evening. X Shelagh

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Good job I did not set off immediately to see Fred. Had a call from the home to say that it is closed to visitors for a week or so as they have 2 cases of scabies. Apparently this is quite common in care homes with elderly people so glad it is being contained. On the plus side, if there is one, at least I won't (hopefully) feel guilty at not being able to visit him every other day as I have been doing which should save me some petrol money. Am feeling a bit scared, like you LadyA, the theory does not always seem to work out in practice but, again hopefully, won't have any major bills to pay for a while. Am sure you will have lots of benefits from your lovely stove.
Agree with you and Shelagh about our food. I sometimes think we have no idea of what we are eating although do try to follow a healthy diet.

Sent from my GT-N5110

Rathbone

May 17, 2014
West Sussex
Hate to think of you being scared Verity and LadyA. Hope it all works out for the best - you both certainly deserve for it to be so. X Love Shelagh:)

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I'm at my cousins today! Delivering mum, who is off on holiday with this cousin and my aunt on Thursday. :)

Sent from my C1905 using Talking Point mobile app

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Got home about 8. Much, much later than I wanted. I have to admit, I was terrified driving home - I hadn't realised how bad my eyes were gone for night driving! The furthest I go in the dark is usually from daughter's house home, a distance of about 7km on a road I know very well. Tonight, it was over an hour's drive, and although I know the road well, I haven't driven it for a couple of years. I found the lights very difficult - the glare was just awful, and the light bouncing off signposts and road signs made them just a blur and I couldn't see them. I admit, the inside of my windscreen needs attention - it is pretty grubby, which was probably contributing to the problem. But I think it is my eyes. My sister, who is 18 months older than I, at 55, has suffered night blindness for years - so badly that once dusk comes on she can't even go outside for a walk, much less drive anywhere!

Anyway - had a lovely dinner at my cousins. And here (if I can do this properly) is her totally gawjuss puppy, Smudge:

Attachments

• smudge.jpg
    smudge.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 428

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Both of these look amazing. The pup looks very lovable and the beast looks very cosy. Know what you mean about night driving - prefer not to do it myself these days whereas once it never bothered me at all.

Sent from my GT-N5110

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Ooooh lovely :D especially the stove!:D

So cosy and warm looking .....

I'm another one who struggles with driving at night now ....which is a bit of a problem with dark nights drawing in.

Sleep well, those who can :cool:

Lindy xx

Rathbone

May 17, 2014
West Sussex
Great pics thanks LadyA. Yes, I'll join the problem night drivers. We collect our six year old granddaughter from school on Wednesdays and look after her until my daughter gets home from London about 6.30. Last week, poor child was still eating her supper when Mummy arrived and Gma and Gpa beetled off to get home before dark! I am going to have to get over it because it's a long time until light evenings again. I used to wear prescription sun glasses at night to stop the glare, which sounds a bit scary, but worked really fine. Then I lost them and have just the correction bit now, which helps. It was a bit startling for other drivers pulling up at traffic lights to see a "blind" woman driving the next car! X:)

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Great pics thanks LadyA. Yes, I'll join the problem night drivers. We collect our six year old granddaughter from school on Wednesdays and look after her until my daughter gets home from London about 6.30. Last week, poor child was still eating her supper when Mummy arrived and Gma and Gpa beetled off to get home before dark! I am going to have to get over it because it's a long time until light evenings again. I used to wear prescription sun glasses at night to stop the glare, which sounds a bit scary, but worked really fine. Then I lost them and have just the correction bit now, which helps. It was a bit startling for other drivers pulling up at traffic lights to see a "blind" woman driving the next car! X:)

I've been doing some research online about "night driving glasses" which are supposed to reduce the glare. Apparently, in some parts of the world they are illegal, because although they do reduce light glare, they also reduce (like any tint would) your ability to see when there are no lights coming against you - and thus your ability to see pedestrians, animals, kerbs, etc. The advice I generally came up with was: make sure your windscreen was very clean, inside and out, and also your headlights. And to use drops for dry eyes, which can apparently help a lot. Must get some, see if it helps. I was extra tired yesterday.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Got rid of some more books! :):) A guy came to fit a thermal blackout blind to the huge living room window (more to keep the sun out in Summer than the heat in) - he's been here several times, as I've got the other windows done one or two at a time as I could afford them, but couldn't get the living room done while William was here, as he hated noise and disturbance. Anyway, the guy remarked on the book clearance, and I told him how difficult it was to get rid of books - and showed him the boxes stacked in the hall waiting to go to the charity shops/recycling. So, when he was finished, he asked if he could be cheeky and go through the boxes as he knew William had had a lot of books on gardens and plants - and his father and grandfather were great gardeners. So he went off with an armful. :) And dau - who I was grumbling to myself yesterday never comes just to visit. I usually go over to her. - anyway, today she didn't feel like going home and cleaning her house after work, so she came here and sat and we ate stewed apples & custard (my lunch!) and drank tea. And it was so mild here all day, that I didn't light the stove at all. I plugged in a little 400 watt electric heater in the living room this evening and that was enough to keep me comfy. Thank God for good insulation! Off to my cosy bed now!

Oh yes - visited William today. He was still eating lunch when I arrived. Staff nurse Jack said he had been very slow eating today. They were having a real problem persuading him to eat. He had been at lunch for 45 minutes. He looked awfully tired, and in fact I left after half an hour, when he fell asleep. And he's still coughing quite badly.

Rathbone

May 17, 2014
West Sussex
Your note about daughter struck a chord. Mine never rings or emails I'm afraid unless I csn be of use somehow. Our six yesr old granddaughter keeps asking to stay with us and although i've suggested a monthly visit over a weekend when they take some of the strain by driving her here the hour and colllecting the next day, it's fallen on deaf ears. Glad you enjoyed your unexpected time with yours. Your nest sounds so very cosy now.X :) Sorry William is still hacking poor man.

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
As Shelagh says, your nest sounds very cosy ready for winter. Sorry to hear about William still coughing. Hope it clears up soon. Had a little laugh yesterday although it's not really funny, but when I rang yesterday morning to see how Fred is (home closed due to scabies outbreak) they said it was treatment day when they all, residents and staff, had to have this special cream applied from head to foot and leave on for 12 hours. They were calling all staff in and taking 3 patients each, then putting theirs on when they got home. What a job Wished them good luck in getting Fred to cooperate as he hates taking his clothes off, secretly glad that it wasn't me having to do it. Hopefully the home will open again sometime next week. Do miss visiting.

Sent from my GT-N5110

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
As Shelagh says, your nest sounds very cosy ready for winter. Sorry to hear about William still coughing. Hope it clears up soon. Had a little laugh yesterday although it's not really funny, but when I rang yesterday morning to see how Fred is (home closed due to scabies outbreak) they said it was treatment day when they all, residents and staff, had to have this special cream applied from head to foot and leave on for 12 hours. They were calling all staff in and taking 3 patients each, then putting theirs on when they got home. What a job Wished them good luck in getting Fred to cooperate as he hates taking his clothes off, secretly glad that it wasn't me having to do it. Hopefully the home will open again sometime next week. Do miss visiting.

Sent from my GT-N5110
Never heard of a scabies outbreak in a home here - but they do close now and then for outbreaks of things like the Noro Virus (Winter Vomiting Virus) or that. God help the staff at times like that - I'm sure they earn every penny of their wages and double it! I wonder how they manage for people like me, who take the laundry home to wash?

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Just make sure that the washing gets done on the hottest wash possible...that's what I had to do when my 3 kids had more than one outbreak of scabies...like nits it came by contact with another sufferer:rolleyes:. The last time my eldest son was about 16...he loved having his Mum rubbing the lotion into all the creases that I used to kiss when he was a baby:eek::eek: ( not!!!!:eek::eek:).
( for those who have never come into contact..Scabies is a contagious disease, spread by tiny mites.... Scabies mites leave small red blotches and silver-coloured lines on the skin. These marks are caused by the mites burrowing into the skin, causing a raging itchiness and possibly little spots over the entire body that can be blistered and treatment is a complete covering of lotion for several days )

Rathbone

May 17, 2014
West Sussex
Oh grim, grim, grim!! So sorry, how ghastly. Cannot imagine HOW the staff do what they do and always - well, nearly always - with a good grace. Pure sainthood. X:)

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Agree Shelagh. They all deserve huge pay increases, gold medals, etc. So many good carers despite the rotten publicity they get because of a few horrible ones. Haven't stopped itching either, MrsTerryN, think it's psychosomatic but it's mainly on my back and can't get to see much there!! Think I would probably have had blisters by now

Sent from my GT-N5110

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Hope everyone is well. Treated myself to an Impoverished Pensioner seat yesterday for the matinee for Miss Saigon. :D Delfont Mackintosh theatres let you do this. I had a super stalls seat, for £37.50, and the lady to my right paid ................ £99.75! :eek:

Folk kindly offered seats on both legs of the journey, and the show was wonderful. I saw it with John 25 years ago, so found it even more emotional, and had tears running down my face for a lot of the time.

I was telling my neighbour and she said that she bought the LP of this, and I said that we bought the cassette. Made us sound very dated! I painted another 4 fence panels today, as it's been so mild.

When I visited John he said "I wasn't expecting to see you for ages", so I asked why that was. "Well" he said "you've been on holiday to Egypt, and I thought you'd be away for a month, with That Man". Well, it's an improvement on Scunthorpe! :D