Folic Acid deficiency or dementia

Henrybobo

Jun 28, 2023
Hi everyone,
First time poster but I have been reading all of your posts for weeks, thanks for your wealth of information.
So my MIL who’s 86 moved in with us 6 months ago, she was living alone after the death of my FIL 4 years ago, but became lonely and scared at night. We had always said that when the time was right for her she could come and live with us.
For these last 6 months, I started to notice memory problems. Forgetting names of family, problems using the tv and phone, forgetting conversations we had earlier on in the day etc etc.
After reading posts on this forum, I arranged for my MIL to visit the GP, which she did willingly as she acknowledges her memory problems.
The GP gave her a blood test and also a memory test which consisted of questions, remembering an address and drawing a clock face.(she didn’t do very well)
We went back to the GP when the blood tests were back, and the MIL was deficient in folic acid. The GP has prescribed her folic acid tablets to take once a day.
He did not mention dementia and said she had ‘age related memory issues’ is that the same as mild cognitive impairment?
Would you say that this is due to her deficiency in folic acid? I thought she may have dementia but don’t seem to have that diagnosis.
The GP gave no further advice or referrals to memory clinic etc. She does not need any carers as we do everything for her, she is still mobile and able to do her own personal hygiene etc.
I’m left feeling a bit lost as to what the actual issue is, has anyone had similar issues?
Thanks for reading and for all your valuable info, it’s appreciated!

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Hi everyone,
First time poster but I have been reading all of your posts for weeks, thanks for your wealth of information.
So my MIL who’s 86 moved in with us 6 months ago, she was living alone after the death of my FIL 4 years ago, but became lonely and scared at night. We had always said that when the time was right for her she could come and live with us.
For these last 6 months, I started to notice memory problems. Forgetting names of family, problems using the tv and phone, forgetting conversations we had earlier on in the day etc etc.
After reading posts on this forum, I arranged for my MIL to visit the GP, which she did willingly as she acknowledges her memory problems.
The GP gave her a blood test and also a memory test which consisted of questions, remembering an address and drawing a clock face.(she didn’t do very well)
We went back to the GP when the blood tests were back, and the MIL was deficient in folic acid. The GP has prescribed her folic acid tablets to take once a day.
He did not mention dementia and said she had ‘age related memory issues’ is that the same as mild cognitive impairment?
Would you say that this is due to her deficiency in folic acid? I thought she may have dementia but don’t seem to have that diagnosis.
The GP gave no further advice or referrals to memory clinic etc. She does not need any carers as we do everything for her, she is still mobile and able to do her own personal hygiene etc.
I’m left feeling a bit lost as to what the actual issue is, has anyone had similar issues?
Thanks for reading and for all your valuable info, it’s appreciated!
Hi @Henrybobo

I think sometimes you have to separate out what might be two findings unrelated to each other. Not uncommon for older people to be folic deficient and it can cause delirium in some but not others. Mild cognitive impairment is pre-dementia and does not always progress to dementia and there is no way of knowing what the future holds in advance unfortunately. The flip side is it wouldn't do any harm your MIL permitting to seek an assessment by the memory clinic or alternatively keep a close eye and seek further assessment if things get worse.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @Henrybobo. I think it would be worth contacting the GP again to ask for clarification as to what happens next. If your Mother in Law didn't do well in the mini-memory test further investigation seems sensible, but maybe the GP is waiting to see if the folic acid tablets help a little. In the mean time keep a diary of your concerns and give them to the GP (or email ahead) when your MiL next has an appointment. My mum seemed pretty together when we first visited the GP when we were concerned about her. It was only after he'd read our list of our concerns and started asking her about her neighbours that he saw exactly what the problem was. Mum was convinced, against all that is logical, that they came in and took things and then brought them back.

Henrybobo

Jun 28, 2023
Hi @Henrybobo

I think sometimes you have to separate out what might be two findings unrelated to each other. Not uncommon for older people to be folic deficient and it can cause delirium in some but not others. Mild cognitive impairment is pre-dementia and does not always progress to dementia and there is no way of knowing what the future holds in advance unfortunately. The flip side is it wouldn't do any harm your MIL permitting to seek an assessment by the memory clinic or alternatively keep a close eye and seek further assessment if things get worse.
Hi Palerider
Thanks for your reply, I appreciate your advice and time. Kind Regards.

Henrybobo

Jun 28, 2023
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @Henrybobo. I think it would be worth contacting the GP again to ask for clarification as to what happens next. If your Mother in Law didn't do well in the mini-memory test further investigation seems sensible, but maybe the GP is waiting to see if the folic acid tablets help a little. In the mean time keep a diary of your concerns and give them to the GP (or email ahead) when your MiL next has an appointment. My mum seemed pretty together when we first visited the GP when we were concerned about her. It was only after he'd read our list of our concerns and started asking her about her neighbours that he saw exactly what the problem was. Mum was convinced, against all that is logical, that they came in and took things and then brought them back.
Hi Sarasa
Thanks for taking the time to reply too. I’ll take your advice about keeping a diary and will certainly contact MIL’s GP once the folic acid runs out to see what happens next. MIL also seems together to people that don’t know her, but we know this not to be true. Kind Regards.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @Henrybobo

I think that sometimes GPs will clutch at straws and blame an unrelated condition for the symptoms of dementia. My OH has chronic low sodium levels (been like that for 25 years to my knowledge) and every time he has a blood test the GP tells me it is the cause of his confusion and unsteadiness. Well, yes, low sodium levels can do this, but not usually to the extent of OHs problems and besides which it has been ruled out as the cause of his problems.

If taking the folic acid does not make any difference to her memory problems, then you need to go back and tell the doctor this. It sounds to me as though she needs a referral to the memory clinic if the folic acid doesnt help.

Henrybobo

Jun 28, 2023
Hi @Henrybobo

I think that sometimes GPs will clutch at straws and blame an unrelated condition for the symptoms of dementia. My OH has chronic low sodium levels (been like that for 25 years to my knowledge) and every time he has a blood test the GP tells me it is the cause of his confusion and unsteadiness. Well, yes, low sodium levels can do this, but not usually to the extent of OHs problems and besides which it has been ruled out as the cause of his problems.

If taking the folic acid does not make any difference to her memory problems, then you need to go back and tell the doctor this. It sounds to me as though she needs a referral to the memory clinic if the folic acid doesnt help.
Hi @canary
Thanks for taking the time to reply, sorry your OH has been treated like that, I think you’re right about blaming other conditions, it’s really sad especially as we’re just trying to help our loved ones. Thanks again for the advice. Kind Regards

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paul dennison