Family member won’t see a doctor

Carl80

Sep 30, 2018
Hi all,
My dad has been showing signs of Alzheimer’s now for around the last 6-7 years but despite numerous requests from various family members me won’t go to the doctors to get help. He is now starting to show signs of aggression towards my my mum who he lives with and my sister if she disagrees with him when she visits, which is worrying me.
My mum visited the doctors earlier this year to discuss the matter with the go but he told her that there is nothing he can do unless my dad goes in to see him himself. Has anybody else experienced this? And if so what options are there to try and get a doctor to diagnose him, so we can start to get some help for him
Thanks

VerityH

Aug 21, 2018
Something like this happened with my dad several years ago. I was particularly worried about the fact that he was still driving. The GPs called him in for a spurious 'well man' appointment, and then referred him to the memory clinic. No-one initiated revoking the driving licence, and several years later I drove the car down to we buy any car dot com with my mother's permission to stop him attempting to drive it! Dad also didn't continue with the memory appointments, so it didn't really get us anywhere, but I just offer this message as an idea of how to get him to the GP.

Good luck!

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Carl80, welcome to the forum.

Getting the GP to issue a well man check up call in is a good suggestion that has helped others as the older generation will often heed an official request even when family are being refused.

If you stress the signs of aggression starting it may get more attention.

Keep a written record of all concerns so that can be produced at any consultation as this is useful and a tactic employed by many members, including myself, as the person experiencing dementia is often quite unaware of any problems they are experiencing due to their loss of cognitive ability.

If you still struggle a call to the help line may help guide you as the people on there are quite expert, the details are
National Dementia Helpline
0300 222 11 22
Our helpline advisers are here for you.
Helpline opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm