Falling

Janey B

Aug 15, 2019
Northwest
Hi folks
Having problems during the night. Hubby tries to get up/out of bed and if I am not available to help he sometimes ends up slivering down to the floor. Fortunately does not hurt himself but I can’t help get him up. Have to ring for help.
Any ideas ? I already have a pressure mat to alert me and have been told bed guards are dangerous for people with dementia.
He is having falls during the day too.
He does not like to sit down ??? will stand for ages holding on to furniture then becomes over tired and falls. ( obviously I encourage him to sit down but he can be very stubborn) won’t sit on the toilet either which is causing lots of problems changing his incontinence pants.
Always something isn’t there 🙄

genevieve 76

Oct 22, 2023
my husband did this quite often and it was a nightmare getting him back into bed. I bought a guard rail for the side and it helped a little. It wasn't very big but I think when he rolled over it stopped him from falling out at least at first. Then he began sliding lower down the bed and coming off that part. After another stroke I bought electric bed and moved him downstairs. This helped with sitting him up. Occupational therapist said he could get us a better bed which lowered almost to the floor with crash mats. This didn't work for us but it might be worth looking into.

Janey B

Aug 15, 2019
Northwest
my husband did this quite often and it was a nightmare getting him back into bed. I bought a guard rail for the side and it helped a little. It wasn't very big but I think when he rolled over it stopped him from falling out at least at first. Then he began sliding lower down the bed and coming off that part. After another stroke I bought electric bed and moved him downstairs. This helped with sitting him up. Occupational therapist said he could get us a better bed which lowered almost to the floor with crash mats. This didn't work for us but it might be worth looking into.
Thanks for your reply Genevieve 76
At a loss what to do ? fear he will fall and hurt himself. Going to ring OT for advice 🤞Take care JB

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Hi folks
Having problems during the night. Hubby tries to get up/out of bed and if I am not available to help he sometimes ends up slivering down to the floor. Fortunately does not hurt himself but I can’t help get him up. Have to ring for help.
Any ideas ? I already have a pressure mat to alert me and have been told bed guards are dangerous for people with dementia.
He is having falls during the day too.
He does not like to sit down ??? will stand for ages holding on to furniture then becomes over tired and falls. ( obviously I encourage him to sit down but he can be very stubborn) won’t sit on the toilet either which is causing lots of problems changing his incontinence pants.
Always something isn’t there 🙄
These are very useful.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Just a thought but if the bed goes almost to the floor or even very low, it would be a safer setting for sleeping and possibly lifting your LO back on to prior to raising it for normal getting in and out, if you see what I mean?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Somebody on here (sorry, I cant remember who) used an inflatable pouffe
They placed the uninflated pouffe underneath the person on the floor by rolling them onto it and then inflated it.

Forth

Mar 31, 2023
Cambridge
My husband climbs off the bed in the night and then falls. We have a crash mat and a pressure alarm mat but it starts off with him dangling his legs then over he goes. Sometimes I don't get to him before he falls of the lowered bed and I have had to dial 999 as I can't get him up. He thinks he can get up but he can't without 2 carers The cushion to raise him is wonderful and that's what they get him back up on but I couldnt do it by myself. We have had to wait for help but the Paramedics have been wonderful with him. Heres' hoping we all get some quality sleep.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Just saw the price and Gulp!!
Yep!
And it’s a Christmas special price!!!

But of course what you need, and what you want to spend are always two different things, as I so often find out !

It can be easily operated by one person!

I nearly didn’t post because of the price, but I always think it’s best to know what you need even if it’s unobtainable????
The Ot may know of how to rent one? Or someone selling a second hand one? Or a looky likey that saves loads of money ???

Janey B

Aug 15, 2019
Northwest
Thanks for your input everyone. Managed an emergency appointment with O.T tomorrow
Will post their recommendations. JB

Janey B

Aug 15, 2019
Northwest
Amazing result 👏👏👏
OT assessment went really well arriving tomorrow an adjustable bed i.e rise and fall, a crash mat, bed wedges to stop him rolling over and they are going to order one of the blow up cushions so I can lift him off the floor when he falls (As attached above by Weasell)
Can’t believe it I only phoned yesterday how wonderful is that
Looking forward to some restful nights 😃

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Amazing result 👏👏👏
OT assessment went really well arriving tomorrow an adjustable bed i.e rise and fall, a crash mat, bed wedges to stop him rolling over and they are going to order one of the blow up cushions so I can lift him off the floor when he falls (As attached above by Weasell)
Congratulations!
So lovely to hear a success story!
It must be Christmas!
Have a happy one and wishing you all good things in the new year.

hillyjay

Jun 14, 2019
Great to hear of such a quick and good result. Hope your life will be a bit easier now.

Janey B

Aug 15, 2019
Northwest
Just to update and hopefully be help for people with similar difficulties. The bed has been a god send. After a couple of nights he no longer even tries to get out of bed. The bed wedges surround him snuggly . I put the bed as near to the floor as possible and put the crash mat on the floor. His bed is adjacent to mine so safe on the other side. At last I can relax and sleep knowing he is safe 👍🏽🤞

Ellie2018

Jun 26, 2023
Amazing result 👏👏👏
Wow what great service, we often complain because whilst people talk of services available the reality is often different. Hope it all works and you get some sleep and peace of mind.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
What a brilliant outcome.

My husband also slid out of the bed and from the chair. it would have helped us to have had this level of service.

Cec

Jan 3, 2024
My husband slides down alot and I was having trouble finding neighbors or ambulance to come help him up. 6'1 ....200 lbs. I bought him an electric lift chair from amazon that he can scoot on and press a button and it lifts him up to sitting position. Was around $350.00 but insurance reimbursed 1/2 back after I submitted a presciption from his doctor and receipt. A bit heavy to lug over to him -- but worth the price. Good Luck.
chair is called MaidEsite Electric Lift Chair

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kare143