Exhausted

Suntrap

Oct 13, 2017
My mum has Alzheimer' and seems to be deteriorating rapidly we are called every night in the early hours by the lifeline as poor mum is awake confused and frightened very agitated .It is with a very heavy heart that i feel I cannot carry on trying to care for mum as well as working I've tried to meet her needs but today I am contacting a care home we both viewed to move mum into there.I know mum will be safer and get the professional care she requires I also know she will have to self fund and sell her home but professional care in a safe environment is required

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
@Suntrap, hello and welcome to TP. I'm sorry to hear about your mum and that you needed to find your way here, but I hope it will be helpful for you.

Even when a care home is the best, of only, option, it's not one that anyone takes lightly. I can understand you are feeling upset and anxious about this.

It sounds as though your mum is at a stage where 24/7 supervision and company may be needed for her safety, and your peace of mind. I went through this with my mother and her crushing anxiety was terrible to witness. It's possible that with the extra support of a good care home, and the relief from trying to cope at home, your mother may be a bit less anxious once she settles. My mother is a care home success story, so it can happen.

I will have to yield to the UK experts here for advice on funding and finances, but please speak up if you have specific questions.

Wishing you all the best.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
There are no easy or good answers but choosing safety and care has to be the best possible solution. She may thrive with company and feel less anxious with people around her.

Good wishes.

padmag

May 8, 2012
nottingham
There are no easy or good answers but choosing safety and care has to be the best possible solution. She may thrive with company and feel less anxious with people around her.

Good wishes.
Hello suntrap, I have the same problem with my Mum also. Although I say 'I' it is actually my sister who looks after her (she has had AD for past 2 years and is 84), mys sister lives in the same village about a ten minute walk away. I am busy being a full time carer for my partner who also has AD. Mum sometimes goes out at night to the local shop and gets lost on her way back, fortunately the shopkeeper is very kind and has brought her back home, they even have my sister's mobile number. I do hope your Mum accepts her new home, it will be a relief for you, I know how you feel I am very worried about my Mum but can't do much for her in my situation, also living about an hour away. I will start a post to see if anyone has any ideas about some sort of alarm to alert my sister when Mum leaves the house. Sorry to hijack your post, I just wish my Mum would accept a care home but she is very stubborn on this matter. Hope it works out for your Mum