Every ward/home needs a Martin

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Nurses and care assistants are people we have to rely on a lot when we have someone in hospital, an assessment ward, or a nursing/care home.

My experience of all has been mixed, which is understandable - these people are, well, people, and people come in all varieties. At present I am visiting daily an assessment ward that has a care assistant who is simply outstanding.

His name is Martin, and I've rarely seen a more caring person in action. In a ward of challenging patients and pretty good staff, he is way above the rest of his colleagues in my estimation.

He is the one who looks around and spots the person who needs attention; he is the one who is most humane in talking to them; he is the one who phones family in the evening to say their relative is a bit unhappy and could we have a chat with them; he is the one who volunteers for the jobs nobody else wants to do. A staff nurse there says "I don't have time for that (changing a dressing that is incapacitating a patient)" and makes your relative cry by talking bluntly in front of her about her condition.

Not everywhere has a Martin, but I have found that most places have a person that you turn to when you want to be sure something is done right. Thank goodness.

Every ward/home needs a Martin. We should clone them.

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
I really think that you should copy this post and send it to Martin's boss.

Martins should be noticed in all the right places.

Three cheers for Martin.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
There are 8 carers on my husband's floor at any one time and they are all Martins. We are very lucky and we do let them know how much we appreciate their care and caring attitude to all 9 men who have challenging behaviour.

Jay

indeed Noorza 3 cheers for Martin/

kingmidas1962

Jun 10, 2012
South Gloucs
I hope he knows how good he is (but suspect he might be too modest to acknowledge it) ... it would be lovely if you could let this praise find it's way to him.

His cared-for are lucky to have him!

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Hi Bruce good to see you :).

In my dad's home Martin was called Barbara. Always on top note with the residents, knowing just how to care and address them according to their individual needs. But tough enough to order out a District Nurse who referred to a resident disrespectfully.

There were other excellent carers, but 3 years on I still have a smile when I drive past the home and I see Barbara's battered red car parked outside.

Here's to all the Martins and Barbaras:).

grobertson62

Mar 7, 2011
Sheffield
In dads home there were 2 "martins" male ...and lots of Barbaras all unsung heros
Too many times we moan about bad carers. But there are some great ones too
Gill