Essential oils

Briege

Apr 10, 2024
Has anyone tried lavender oil for help with a more restful sleep. I've noticed when hubby sleeps well he's much calmer and more alert the next day. When he's up and down all night he's very agitated and upset the following day. I'm wondering if any essential oils, lavender in particular, would help

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Hello @Briege 🙂

I haven't used essential oils as such, but when I was caring for my husband I did use a lavender pillow mist spray and it did help him for quite a while.

Edit: Just to add that it was more helpful in the early to mid stages. Eventually, it stopped having any calming influence, but it was great while it did.

Unknowndaughter01

Apr 18, 2024
Be careful with lavender oil too much can awaken to senses. You are better off with clove oil or neroli. Both can be added to water as a spray and are good to claim anxiety in dementia suffers

Briege

Apr 10, 2024
Oh thanks. I knew only to add 2 drops and no more but I didn't know about clove oil or neroli. I'll have to look them up. Thank you

sapphire turner

Jan 14, 2022
My husband sleeps very badly -3 or 4 hours a night, then naps half of the day. He was dead set against essential oils, and the melatonin that the consultant prescribed doesn’t seem to make much difference. I have asked for another medication review to see if anything else can be tried - some people seem to have had success with mirtazapine but if he finds out that it is primarily an antidepressant I am sure he will refuse it.

Briege

Apr 10, 2024
Hubby slept for an hour yesterday evening, got up feeling wonderful and decided he was going out. Couldn't tell him he hadn't been in a pub in over10 years, his local is no longer there and his booze buddies no longer go out either, only 2 are still here. So I did the usual and put YouTube on. Enjoyed the music, bed at midnight, up this morning asking what time he got home and convinced he was playing at a weekend festival. I said we were going for a drive today but he's now decided he's meeting his friends and playing again this afternoon. So yes it's backfired on me and I'm now sitting thinking of a way to put his mind in a different direction. Chinese formula 1 on soon so fingers crossed.