End of the journey

PMM1485

Dec 16, 2018
It been a very tough six months, culminating with mum contracting covid in the care home three weeks ago. She is now end of life and today stopped drinking and eating. Coming to the end of the journey at Christmas seems the final blow. Feeling numb sitting here on my own with the tree lights twinkling.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m so sorry to read your news.

Wishing you strength for the days to come. Keep posting. There will always be someone here to support you.

PMM1485

Dec 16, 2018
Thanks everyone. You thoughts and support mean a great deal. Nice to know I'm not quite on my own this evening. Xx

PMM1485

Dec 16, 2018
We made it through Christmas. But mum now on nil by mouth and on a morphine pump. We have kept a constant 24 hour vigil but it is so harrowing to watch her go through this. I hate to see her suffering so and being able to do nothing about it. Feels like we have given up on her. Honestly not sure how to keep going. Feels like we are just waiting for her to die, which is true, we are. Not sure how many more hours we can hold out but terrified of leaving her alone.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
We made it through Christmas. But mum now on nil by mouth and on a morphine pump. We have kept a constant 24 hour vigil but it is so harrowing to watch her go through this. I hate to see her suffering so and being able to do nothing about it. Feels like we have given up on her. Honestly not sure how to keep going. Feels like we are just waiting for her to die, which is true, we are. Not sure how many more hours we can hold out but terrified of leaving her alone.
You are into the last long vigil.
This twilight world is indeed harrowing. You want it all to stop, and yet you dont..

She will still be able to hear, even if she cannot respond, so say the important things to her - I love you, thank you, Im sorry. Reassure her that it is OK to go.

Read to her, play her favourite music, tell her the family stories.
Put moisturiser on her dry skin and salve on her lips to make her more comfortable.

Dont forget to eat and sleep
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
oh @PMM1485 in no way have you let your mum down ... you are standing by her and always have been ... you are there for in her closing moments ... that means everything

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Difficult times. Talk to her quietly, give her permission to let go. Its dreadfully hard. My dad went more or less the minute I left to go to the loo.

Thinking of you- you are far from alone xx

PMM1485

Dec 16, 2018
Mum died tonight at 6.25. Very peaceful and all of us around her. Hope she felt loved. We read to her, played her favourite music and sang. Its not really hit me yet, as it feels she has been absent in many ways for months. Am numb at the end of the journey but miss her more than I can say ?. Xx

Wildflowerlady

Sep 30, 2019
I am so sorry to read of your loss @PMM1485 I am sure your mum felt very, very loved, am glad her passing was so peaceful and she was surrounded by her family. My thoughts are with you and sending a hug. x

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch