End of life

JackieG1

Sep 19, 2023
My mother is in a care home. She hasn't eaten for weeks, just takes sips of milk. She's so thin, doesn't speak. The problem is, my sister and I have been here several times before and somehow she has picked up. Two weeks ago we were told they were ordering anticipatory medication, were withdrawing her regular meds and would make her comfortable. We were preparing ourselves, but once again she picked up ever so slightly. Now she has gone back to sleeping most of the time. There is still a light in her eyes when she's opens them. How long will this go on? The emotional rollercoaster is exhausting.

Dovecote

Mar 3, 2019
I'm so sorry to hear this, I understand how difficult it is to witness the decline of somebody close, yet not know how or when things will proceed. I think you are wise to prepare yourselves, as best you can, as it sounds as if your mothers medical team are anticipating that she is approaching end of life. In my own experience, once my mother was no longer swallowing/very little it was a matter of a couple of weeks. However, it must vary very much. I found that the GP was not forthcoming with a prognosis and when I asked for their estimation, she actually passed away much sooner. There are other signs that end of life is approaching imminently and your mothers nurses will be able to explain what these will be and should contact you as soon as they are there. Take care of yourself, as you say this is an exhausting time for you, sending you strength.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
This final stage is indeed a terrible roller coaster and these rallies seem to happen with dementia far more often than you would think. My MIL showed every sign of being literally hours from death and the family had all been called in when she suddenly rallied and my mum had rallied several times previously so that even when she was actually dying I kept expecting her to do the same again

I'm afraid that there is just no knowing how long this stage will last which is why everyone is so vague. Do pace yourself in case there is another rally and just take everything as it comes

(((((((((((hugs)))))))))

Gladys1946

Feb 17, 2019
I am absolutely burnt out with the emotions of this stage of this never ending journey. One minute my husband is semi conscious, next day he's sitting up smiling and chatting. How long I'd this torture going to go on for.

Woody54321

Feb 19, 2024
My mother is in a care home. She hasn't eaten for weeks, just takes sips of milk. She's so thin, doesn't speak. The problem is, my sister and I have been here several times before and somehow she has picked up. Two weeks ago we were told they were ordering anticipatory medication, were withdrawing her regular meds and would make her comfortable. We were preparing ourselves, but once again she picked up ever so slightly. Now she has gone back to sleeping most of the time. There is still a light in her eyes when she's opens them. How long will this go on? The emotional rollercoaster is exhausting.
my mother is exactly the same I received a call from the care home on 15th April to say the Doctor was stopping meds and catheter removed and EOL injections as needed, so far she has not needed anything, she is bed bound not eating, accepting enriched drink in small amounts as her swallow is not great but so far comfortable. I have started to relax a bit as it was stressful to be told you are at that stage but then we seem to be in the holding phase again. My thoughts are with you but just wanted you to know you definitely not alone, it a horrible journey, big hugs xx

JackieG1

Sep 19, 2023
my mother is exactly the same I received a call from the care home on 15th April to say the Doctor was stopping meds and catheter removed and EOL injections as needed, so far she has not needed anything, she is bed bound not eating, accepting enriched drink in small amounts as her swallow is not great but so far comfortable. I have started to relax a bit as it was stressful to be told you are at that stage but then we seem to be in the holding phase again. My thoughts are with you but just wanted you to know you definitely not alone, it a horrible journey, big hugs xx
Thanks. I feel like are lives are on hold. Seems universal. So sad for you too and anyone going through this. It's a tough old road to travel. Take care of yourself.xx

jfhn05020

Apr 19, 2024
I understand that this is an incredibly difficult time for you, so taking care of your emotional well-being and seeking support from friends, family, or a counselor can help you navigate this emotional rollercoaster. Remember, you're not alone, and it's okay to feel exhausted and overwhelmed. You're needed by your loved ones.