End of life palliative care

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
I cannot say how thankful I am that the lovely nursing staff at the carehome listened to our concerns & now mum is not only on anti agitation meds but pain relief.
The belief that Mum is locked in is held by all looking after her, Lewy bodies Dementia a possibility. The difference between poor care & excellent care is highlighted in this experience of a loved one passing; Dads journey up to the end was a continuous battle - Mums is full of dignity & respect. This journey with dementia has been hard & heartbreaking at times, today I found peace in heart & mind knowing Mums care & comfort is first & foremost in those involved in her care. The compassion shown to us as a family unit was genuine & heartfelt & the support needed to travel these final steps is there; I feel as if I am encompassed into a bigger family. We have some difficult hours ahead but knowing this to be pain free makes it an easier journey for us all to travel.
Thank you all & god bless you for being part of this journey with me.
x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s so comforting for you to know your mum is receiving the best care possible during her final hours. Being Pain-free and comfortable among people who care is all anyone can ask for.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
So pleased that your Mum now has the pain relief and the anti agitation meds she needs. May this part of her journey now be peaceful.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Mum slipped peacefully away in the evening of 19/11.
Thank you for all of the amazing support throughout the years .

I feel a surreal fuzzy numb lightness & am relieved for Mum that this part of her journey is over.

I cuddled Mum , & read her favourite poems & passages from the bible. The stars were visible from her window & classical music played in the background. Surrounded by beautiful fresh flowers in an exemplary care home. A good death is an old fashioned saying but that’s what Mum had , peacefully slipping away .

Please don’t be sad for me & my family we have grieved each loss through this illness of dementia for many years; Mum is released now as are we - instead raise a glass ( Baileys / red wine / Dubonet / elderflower cordial all favourites ) or a cup of hot chocolate to Aged Mother & smile as she’s now dancing to jazz again with the love of her life
xx

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
Dear @DesperateofDevon, my thoughts are with you (as yours were with me in July when I lost my mum).
What a comfort to you in the days to come, knowing you did your very best for your Mum (and Dad); no recriminations and what a caring, supportive and loving daughter you have been. You and your family have done your parents proud and I'll raise a glass to them and to you too ?

CAL Y

Jul 17, 2021
I’m so glad that your mum is now at peace and what a beautiful way to go.
It was indeed “a good death”.
My sincere condolences to you. May you now get the rest that you deserve after doing your best for her all this time.x

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
That is indeed a beautiful way to pass.
You have worked so hard to get the best care for your mum. She is at peace now - be at peace yourself
xxx