End of life or not

Hingsp123

Nov 11, 2021
Hi, just wondered if anyone had experienced a relative being put on end of life and rallying. My emotions are an absolute rollercoaster. Mum got taken into hospital 4 weeks ago..had an infection and blood clot and was very poorly. She wasn’t eating or drinking and sleeping a lot. The decision was made to get her back to her room at the care home and she was discharged with end of life meds nearly 2 weeks ago. Yesterday she was awake loads, had a wee, ate a bowl of porridge and a yoghurt. Today she is sitting up in bed eyes open with a cup of tea. Obviously we are over the moon and amazed. But also cannot believe this remarkable recovery. Has anyone any experience? I am fine to hear your honest thoughts. I prefer to know the truth. But at the minute I am loving spending this time with mum. Thank you

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @Hingsp123 This must be such a roller coaster for you, with your emotions up and down. I do not have any experience of this but I know from posts of the forum that other members have seen similar things happening with their loved ones. In some cases the recovery was only temporary but in others it lasted much longer. So I would suggest that you continue to do as you are already, and enjoy spending this time with your mum.

I think that it might be a good idea to have a talk with your mum's GP or the lead nurse in the home to see what they say.

SherwoodSue

Jun 18, 2022
I think this is the hardest bit emotionally. I feel my mum has played the ‘watch me die in front of your eyes ‘….fooled you ! game several times
Of course it is great she has pulled through
More come backs than Frank Sinatra the grandkids say

Of only my heart bounced back as quickly from the trauma.

I someone posts “shame on you , you should just be pleased to have your mum” of course I would be guilty as charged Shame ,another emotion to go with fear, despair sadness ,grief and all the boys in the band

This is why I think the rollercoaster is hard.

Collywobbles

Feb 27, 2018
‘End of Life’ can be a bit misleading as a term in this context. I wish the medical and caring professionals would use it with more qualifiers and explanation.

It doesn’t mean that your Mum might die any day, but rather that she is recognisably in the final phase of her life. It could last days, weeks, months or in some cases described here, a year or more.

The pattern of decline and rally is very familiar if you read around this forum. You wouldn’t believe how resilient such frail bodies can be. My Granny’s carers once rang us to warn that she’d pass during the night - and they were experienced enough to be convinced. By the next morning she was awake and eating breakfast.

Hingsp123

Nov 11, 2021
Hello @Hingsp123 This must be such a roller coaster for you, with your emotions up and down. I do not have any experience of this but I know from posts of the forum that other members have seen similar things happening with their loved ones. In some cases the recovery was only temporary but in others it lasted much longer. So I would suggest that you continue to do as you are already, and enjoy spending this time with your mum.

I think that it might be a good idea to have a talk with your mum's GP or the lead nurse in the home to see what they say.
Thank you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFrazer