End of life in nursing home, can’t visit - anyone else in this position?

VickiW

Dec 29, 2016
My dear Dad has moved to end of life care at his nursing home. It was bad enough not being able to see him every day when the lockdown started, but this is unbearable.

My sisters and I were called in last Thursday as he hadn’t eaten or drunk much at all for three days. The nursing home staff are usually amazing and of course are under huge pressure and operating in a frightening environment, so we have been careful to try to work with them.

The manager has said that we can visit again when Dad deteriorates further. We are so grateful we got to see him last week and appreciate this is more than some families get in the current situation.

My concern is that we are receiving inconsistent updates when we call. I was distraught when told we could not be with him and the Clinical Lead said we could call as much as we wanted to get updates on his condition.

As a family, we have been mindful not to call too often and today we suggested that they call us twice a day when convenient to them. The care manager agreed, and then didn’t call this afternoon as promised.

When my sister called tonight the nurse told her to ring back as she was too busy, then said we needed to wait until the morning. When we asked how Dad was , we were told he was still very poorly but had had lunch and fluids. When pushed, it was no lunch and 15 ml fluid all day. And even then not sure as didn’t have time to look at his records.

My sister rang back at 10pm as she requested and she said she is still too busy to talk, that we should wait until the morning. When we said how worried we are and just feel like we are sitting for a call to tell us our Dad has died, she flippantly said “I told you last Thursday that his obs were stable and he’s still here isn’t he?”

Considering that last Thursday the care manager and dr thought he had less than 24 hours to live, and he hasn’t eaten since, I dont think we are being unreasonable. We have processed and accepted the fact that we cannot be with him, we don’t want to put other residents at risk but is it too much to ask for a clear update on how he is?

We have been with our Dad every step of his journey over the years and it’s bad enough we can’t be with him, but to be so out of touch with how he is doing feels inhumane.

I wondered if anyone else is in this awful situation and how they are coping with it.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
That must be so difficult. I know the staff must be really busy at the moment, but I hope you can get through to someone who can give you answers.

People with dementia can, and often do, rally before finally succumbing to the inevitable and can go a long time with no food or fluid. My own mum went for 17 days with no food or fluid before she finally passed away. You wouldnt believe it would you? I certainly didnt until it happened. There will be signs of approaching death that the staff should recognise - breathing changes, limbs turn cold and he will turn to a semi-conscious state. All of these things should give you time to come and say goodbye to him.

This is a difficult time, living in a twilight limboland.
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

hrh

Sep 16, 2017
Hi
We are in exactly the same situation as you are now, mum has been this way since returning from hospital, we too had such closeness in her journey with dementia, the CH provide a daily app so we can see what fluid and food and daily care she is receiving, but these updates are only as good as the operator and the algorithms only allow information built in
To the computer, so although you can see information you have to read between the lines, this can be just as upsetting, being present allows you to see them and they know you are there.
The CH do allow us to have a window visit, but again this is heart wrenching too, to be so close but not hold their hand.
Thank goodness for this page, so we can freely say how we are feeling.
I would keep trying communicating with the CH manager, you can always speak with the CH doctor too.
Sending you huge hugs to you and your family. ❤️

VickiW

Dec 29, 2016
Thank you all for taking the time for replying. I am sending you all love and support too at this difficult and sad time.

Dad has deteriorated and the care home have left us come in. We have been with him all day. He is calm and settled and so are we. I am so very very grateful for this time we have and that we can be with him.
Thinking of you all x x x

istherelight?

Feb 15, 2017
Thank you all for taking the time for replying. I am sending you all love and support too at this difficult and sad time.

Dad has deteriorated and the care home have left us come in. We have been with him all day. He is calm and settled and so are we. I am so very very grateful for this time we have and that we can be with him.
Thinking of you all x x x
So glad you are able to see your Dad xx

shaktibhakti

Sep 5, 2016
brighton
oh thats so hard. Im so sorry it isnt what we need but i got "told off"when i took mum to their new years aaprty..mum was really angry, tears in her eyes and didnt want to be there....i didnt too, old songs and singalongs....really depressing....head nurse said "I should think about what mum wants not what I want"...when i only wanted mum to be happy...so was judged and it hurt..... my mother passed peacefully thurs march 12th. I saw her saturday before & she had her eyes closed when i went into her room & the Tv was off...unusual. I only spent an hour with her as kinda knew she might be leaving..I fed her her lunch as she was too cold to take her arms out of the knitted blanket around her shoulders. she closed her eyes when i was there as id decided to go and never made a fuss, didnt want to leave with me or for me to get her coat. I decided not to stay and said goodbye and silently told her i give you permission to leave i will be fine mum....leave if you want....It was painful.

shaktibhakti

Sep 5, 2016
brighton
sad news @shaktibhakti
the loss is painful however much it may be expected
I hope it's a comfort that you spent that time with your mum
She was tired and ready to pass....Quite a few times i had panicked not wanting to lose her and id hung around in hospitals and in the nursing home when she was first admitted in december..i needed to let go as she was suffering even more ..she never wanted to go into a carehome and always wanted to leave when i appeared so had to sneak out often....was awful for me and her as she cried like a a baby sometimes.

towergirl3

Oct 6, 2016
My dear Dad has moved to end of life care at his nursing home. It was bad enough not being able to see him every day when the lockdown started, but this is unbearable.

My sisters and I were called in last Thursday as he hadn’t eaten or drunk much at all for three days. The nursing home staff are usually amazing and of course are under huge pressure and operating in a frightening environment, so we have been careful to try to work with them.

The manager has said that we can visit again when Dad deteriorates further. We are so grateful we got to see him last week and appreciate this is more than some families get in the current situation.

My concern is that we are receiving inconsistent updates when we call. I was distraught when told we could not be with him and the Clinical Lead said we could call as much as we wanted to get updates on his condition.

As a family, we have been mindful not to call too often and today we suggested that they call us twice a day when convenient to them. The care manager agreed, and then didn’t call this afternoon as promised.

When my sister called tonight the nurse told her to ring back as she was too busy, then said we needed to wait until the morning. When we asked how Dad was , we were told he was still very poorly but had had lunch and fluids. When pushed, it was no lunch and 15 ml fluid all day. And even then not sure as didn’t have time to look at his records.

My sister rang back at 10pm as she requested and she said she is still too busy to talk, that we should wait until the morning. When we said how worried we are and just feel like we are sitting for a call to tell us our Dad has died, she flippantly said “I told you last Thursday that his obs were stable and he’s still here isn’t he?”

Considering that last Thursday the care manager and dr thought he had less than 24 hours to live, and he hasn’t eaten since, I dont think we are being unreasonable. We have processed and accepted the fact that we cannot be with him, we don’t want to put other residents at risk but is it too much to ask for a clear update on how he is?

We have been with our Dad every step of his journey over the years and it’s bad enough we can’t be with him, but to be so out of touch with how he is doing feels inhumane.

I wondered if anyone else is in this awful situation and how they are coping with it.
Make sure you persist asking and trying to speak to them, i was recently in the same position, my mum deteriorated once lock down was in place and i couldnt find out anything, sadly she passed away and the most they allowed was me to stand outside her bedroom window when she was really poorly.. They didnt even call me when mum was near the end, its devastating. My heart goes out to you. Sounds just the same as the place my mum was in

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
sorry to read your news @towergirl3
these challenging times can result in such sadness and loss
please accept my condolences

for VickyW, in post 5 on this thread, she has been able to visit

katydid

Oct 23, 2018

We have been with our Dad every step of his journey over the years and it’s bad enough we can’t be with him, but to be so out of touch with how he is doing feels inhumane.I wondered if anyone else is in this awful situation and how they are coping with it.
My husband of 51 years died in a Nursing Home 3 weeks ago. This was after a spell in hospital for antibiotics, then sent back for care
I could not see him in hospital or on discharge
This was Impossible for me, I had last seen him fairly well before he fell ill and went into isolation
After visiting daily as this separation was new to us, and was heartbreaking enough as it was, suddenly Nothing
I am a nurse, so inveigled my way on to the ward a couple of times before the Covid pneumonia was confirmed
After discharge, on the mend we had a few waves through the window etc
I became worried I don’t know what, a gut feeling? After half a century I am not surprised! And went to the home on a Sunday afternoon. I managed to see him as his room was luckily quite separate from others and knew immediately he was unwell
To cut a long story short I simply stayed from the Monday evening until he died at noon on Wednesday
I am so glad I did.

Saith

Feb 4, 2017
Sad reading this, May you have the strength to face it all. We are in bad times?

Lynn1bin

Mar 8, 2018
Definitely care inapectorate please.

I have just came through similar with my mum.. If you want a chat don't hesitate at all to get in touch.
This is a dreadful time for families who's loved ones are at end of life..

Sending love to you

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
I'm sorry to read of your husband's death @katydid
sometimes it pays to follow instinct
I hope having that time with him is some comfort to you

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I too am sorry to read of your husband’s death @katydid. I’m glad that your were able to have some time with him.

Sending my condolences and wishing you strength.