Empty

Reallife

Jun 12, 2015
Lancashire
Hi ,just wondering if anyone can shed any light on what my Dad means when he says he is empty.
He lives at home with my Mum and both me and my brother visit every day. I try and take them out regularly, even if it's only for a little walk. They are not left on their own all day but he keeps saying I don't know what's wrong with me, I just feel empty. He is aware of his diagnosis, or was when he was first diagnosed nearly 4 years ago but we don't tend to remind him of it.
I'd be grateful for any suggestions to what he means. Thank you

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
He could mean that he can't collect his thoughts and comprehend what is going on around him, his mind is empty of any constructive thoughts.

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
He could be feeling 'flat' with regard to his emotions. Loss of motivation and drive means less stimulation from achieving things the way he used to. Life has got a bit dull, perhaps because it is all he can cope with, but he is aware that he used to plan and drive things forward. Just my guess. Sorry to hear that he is feeling down in the dumps. :(

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I have heard several people say that they feel poorly or unwell (even when there isnt anything) and they seem to mean that they sort of know that there is something wrong, but cant quite work out what it is. My MIL used to say she "needed help", but what sort of help we never managed to work out.

I should guess that your dad is vaguely aware of the dementia - that he is aware of something being missing, but may not understand exactly what it is.