Eating, Drinking and mobility

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Apologies if this has been asked before. Having lurked around here but never joined until recently it seems clear that PWD change their eating/drinking habits, and I have spoken to friends who have been through this problem.

Mum has been refusing food on and off for the last couple of weeks, except for cakes/biscuits sweets, occasionally we have been able to her to eat a small sandwich. She has been examined by her GP and nothing leaps out other than her dementia. We have been letting her eat what she wants now, but the last few days she is turning her nose up at drinking. It's not because she is physically incapable of picking her cup up because she can, she can swallow ok, I think it is a case of not wanting to be bothered. She is also sleeping more in the day and we have noticed that instead of walking (using a frame) albeit slowly she is now shuffling along. Someone is coming out to assess her mobility but that is a couple of weeks away.

So the question is really - we know we have to keep her fluid intake up but how do we do it if she refuses - we have offered tea, lemon squash which she always used to love, juice, jelly & ice cream (on gp suggestion), is there anything else we can try?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Jale, the problem could be complex in that an infection, the current heatwave and the sense of taste could all be at play.

It is common for a PWD to lose all but the senses of sweet and sour when it comes to food.

Things like smoothies and fortified sweet drinks are often tried.

Kat.moo

Jul 11, 2018
Hi
I have the same problem with my grandma. The gp referred her to a dietician. She was prescribed different supplements and is currently on callogen extra which she seems to like. I feel it’s hit and miss really. Some days are better but I’ve tried loads of different things and saying it in different ways. Hope you find a solution.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Having same problems with my mum, cannot get her to drink and I have tried every flavour under the sun, she has no problem swallowing, just does not seem interested, She is still interested in her food, so a lot of watery meals being prepared.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch