Eating but continuous slow weight loss

Stonic

Apr 9, 2024
Any experience re continuous weight loss now heading below 6st.
Continuously on the go.
Decline seems to be continuous.
What next ?

Never stops and struggles to focus.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
The `continuously on the go` sounds a contributing factor to the weight loss, plus the fact food might not be metabolised as efficiently as pre dementia @Stonic.

Stonic

Apr 9, 2024
The `continuously on the go` sounds a contributing factor to the weight loss, plus the fact food might not be metabolised as efficiently as pre dementia @Stonic.
Absolutely...
But is there an answer and will weight loss continue.. 4lb in 2 weeks with weight now being 6st ish. Weight 12 months ago 8st plus. Decline is so fast and wondering what 2 , 3 or 4 months will look like.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Is this person 8n their own home or in care? I only ask because in her own home my mum not only did not eat but would go out for mammoth walks all day and she became painfully thin.

Stonic

Apr 9, 2024
Is this person 8n their own home or in care? I only ask because in her own home my mum not only did not eat but would go out for mammoth walks all day and she became painfully thin.
Care home. Wanders up and down corridor and won't sit still.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Care home. Wanders up and down corridor and won't sit still.
Yes my mum was the same in care as well but by then she has remembered to eat and was walking off the food rather than losing weight. They were still concerned about her not sitting down all day though and did try various things to encourage her to rest but she was having none of it. Maybe ask if your dad can have some build up drinks as well as his food so that he stops losing so much weight. Mum suddenly stopped walking so much , no special reason 🤷🏼‍♀️

GlennBurch

Apr 10, 2024
Persistent weight loss and difficulty concentrating can be signs of a variety of problems, including physical and emotional ones. It is important to see a doctor to make sure there are no serious medical problems causing this weight loss. Also see a psychologist or psychiatrist to discuss your difficulty concentrating, as it may be related to your emotional state. Together, they can help identify the causes and develop a treatment or support plan to help you get back to living a healthy life.

Minnie@123

Mar 29, 2016
Any experience re continuous weight loss now heading below 6st.
Continuously on the go.
Decline seems to be continuous.
What next ?

Never stops and struggles to focus.
Understand your concern. Calories in -v - calories out. Has GP been consulted on weight loss? Is s/he eating well? Or refusing / not finishing what's provided? Is care home monitoring fluids (drunk, not just "offered"); and are they logging what & how much is being eaten at each meal? Are they offering nutritional supplements (eg Aymes drinks) to increase calorie intake? See CQC Regulation 14 on nutrition: "little & often" might help? It also states that people must be given time to eat, and appropriate support. If full meal is not manageable, some people benefit from having "small plate" dishes and little nutritious snacks available throughout the day: offered or easily accessible (if that's safe).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janet1980