Weight loss and hello

Stonic

Apr 9, 2024
Hi

I know there is probably no definitive answer but:-

Mum has a diagnosis of vascular dementia with the speed of decline being very fast. She is constantly wandering in the care home hanging onto her walking stick.
September last year was like a fit 60 year old although signs of cognitive issues.

In 3 months her weight has dropped massively and she is incontinent.
I asked home about weight loss and it was 2kg over 10 days.

Eating well and enjoying food but never sits still. Weight in real money 6st 2

Seems to be a continuous rapid decline.

Any experience re what we should expect.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @Stonic and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum. I am sorry to read about your mum, this must be so worrying for you. I would suggest that you speak to her GP as this sounds a lot of weight to lose in such a short time and needs to be properly investigated.

Stonic

Apr 9, 2024
Hello @Stonic and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum. I am sorry to read about your mum, this must be so worrying for you. I would suggest that you speak to her GP as this sounds a lot of weight to lose in such a short time and needs to be properly investigated.

Stonic

Apr 9, 2024
Sorry I did not mention there had been investigations and weight loss stabilised for a period of time which we associated to routine and monitoring.
Colorectal looked at things and best interest meeting took place to not pursue things further (there are other health issues). Home is going to speak to visiting nurse and Dr but they are saying she is on the go constantly.
Lots of personal stuff, recent memorry pretty much gone.
Thinks home is childhood home etc.