Driving after Alzheimer’s diagnosis

Jude-Shaw

Sep 7, 2023
Hi there. My Dad is recently diagnosed with Alzheimer’s and it has been described as ‘having traces of the disease’ in the brain, so still relatively early onset. He has been advised not to drive and doesn’t accept this is accurate so currently still is. Although i am not concerned about this functional ability at this time I am obviously very aware that he will not be able to carry on driving indefinitely however the biggest struggle is getting him to understand and accept this from myself or my Mother. I know this is a common theme but what is so difficult is his total refusal to acknowledge the implications of his diagnosis, in fact I don’t think he has really embraced that he has an official diagnosis (plus he will have forgotten what the appointments were about by now). Having looked through some very helpful info on this site and others I have discovered the term ‘Anosognosia’ the inability to recognise impairment and it was really helpful to realise this can be a symptom and I am wondering if Dad has this rather than just being stubborn. One thing I feel stressed about is that the GP did not ever break the topic of driving gently to my Dad, he just said on one appointment to him about something else ‘i don’t think you should be driving anymore’, which was so unhelpful to Dad and us as a family because it has put him in defence mode about driving right front he start. It states so clearly in a lot of info that is is a sensitive subject and needs to be approached carefully. Thanks to this GP my Dad now refuses to see him and just gets very angry about the driving topic. I feel really concerned about how this is going to pan out at the moment. Suggestions like take his keys or hide the car are completely off the mark as he still has a lot of comprehension and capacity. The GP is feeling like someone where the trust has been broken and I even found a conversation with his GP that I had on the phone at the time, very patronising like saying ‘how would you feel if he caused an accident’ and lacking the skills to deal with supporting or offering guidance to someone who is clearly going to struggle with giving up driving. Any suggestions from relatives who have experienced the same struggles with someone who has been told to stop driving please and how they overcame it? I have a background is supporting people and lots of experience in voluntary and support services and however much I try and negotiate and discuss gently with Dad it is very unfruitful. Many thanks.

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
@Jude-Shaw - this is a difficult topic, not helped by your GPs response.
I believe you can report drivers to the DVLA (anonymously) and then a test of driving ability can be arranged, updated yearly I think. This may help as it would put the outcome (and possibly blame) squarely on the DVLA, rather than anyone else.
IN my case, my Dad had a number of minor prangs before diagnosis. This frightened him. I was able to suggest that if he stopped driving, he would not have to deal with all the other idiots on the road. This took the emphasis away from him, and he much enjoys pointing out all the other idiots, when I drive. I was lucky that he wasn't particualrly fixated on driving.
The inability to recognise that anything is wrong is definitely a thing. Daddy feels he is perfectly fit and able to do extreme gardening (power tools, pond maintenance) every day of the week. He is acually 85 with alzheimers, a pacemaker and a propensity to fits. None of which he really acknowledges.
I am sure others will be along with better advice. This is a really tricky area.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @Jude-Shaw and welcome to Talking Point. One of the most difficult aspects of a new diagnosis can be getting the person to accept that they can no longer drive and your father's doctor certainly did not seem to go about this is a sensitive manner.

First of all, it is a legal requirement when a person has a diagnosis of dementia that the DVLA has to be notified, and also the person's insurers. That must be done as soon as a diagnosis is given either by the person with dementia or their carers/family.

Some doctor's will say that provided the person's insurers are happy they can continue driving unless the DVLA say different. The DVLA will usually arrange a driving assessment to assess if the person is safe to continue driving. Other times a doctor will say the the person should stop driving immediately, this is usually if they think that it would not be safe for the person to continue, but as I said above the doctor could have been more tactful. If a person continues to drive after a doctor has said that they should not they would not be covered by their insurance if they were to have an accident.

The attached information may be useful to you.

Ssteph

Aug 31, 2023
Hi there. My Dad is recently diagnosed with Alzheimer’s and it has been described as ‘having traces of the disease’ in the brain, so still relatively early onset. He has been advised not to drive and doesn’t accept this is accurate so currently still is. Although i am not concerned about this functional ability at this time I am obviously very aware that he will not be able to carry on driving indefinitely however the biggest struggle is getting him to understand and accept this from myself or my Mother. I know this is a common theme but what is so difficult is his total refusal to acknowledge the implications of his diagnosis, in fact I don’t think he has really embraced that he has an official diagnosis (plus he will have forgotten what the appointments were about by now). Having looked through some very helpful info on this site and others I have discovered the term ‘Anosognosia’ the inability to recognise impairment and it was really helpful to realise this can be a symptom and I am wondering if Dad has this rather than just being stubborn. One thing I feel stressed about is that the GP did not ever break the topic of driving gently to my Dad, he just said on one appointment to him about something else ‘i don’t think you should be driving anymore’, which was so unhelpful to Dad and us as a family because it has put him in defence mode about driving right front he start. It states so clearly in a lot of info that is is a sensitive subject and needs to be approached carefully. Thanks to this GP my Dad now refuses to see him and just gets very angry about the driving topic. I feel really concerned about how this is going to pan out at the moment. Suggestions like take his keys or hide the car are completely off the mark as he still has a lot of comprehension and capacity. The GP is feeling like someone where the trust has been broken and I even found a conversation with his GP that I had on the phone at the time, very patronising like saying ‘how would you feel if he caused an accident’ and lacking the skills to deal with supporting or offering guidance to someone who is clearly going to struggle with giving up driving. Any suggestions from relatives who have experienced the same struggles with someone who has been told to stop driving please and how they overcame it? I have a background is supporting people and lots of experience in voluntary and support services and however much I try and negotiate and discuss gently with Dad it is very unfruitful. Many thanks.
Hello there, there are driving assessment centres where your Dad could be formally assessed, this way any problems or issues would not be verbalised by you but the experts. It is a subject I not looking forward to broaching, my husband remains a driver and his job is driving so this will be huge part of his independence lost when it happens. Hope this gets sorted for you and your family

Collywobbles

Feb 27, 2018
My sister informed the DVLA about my mother’s diagnosis and explained why we thought she shouldn’t be driving. Not only was she a danger to herself and others when she drove, but she got lost on roads she’d been using for decades. The DVLA then contacted Mum’s GP for a report. There was a bit of toing and froing when the DVLA asked for more info, but ultimately they revoked her licence and told her that she could have it back if she passed an assessment. Mum was furious, but never took the assessment.

So it might take a bit of well-meaning subterfuge, but it can be done quietly and the DVLA/GP can shoulder the blame. We’ve told Mum that the GP was legally obliged to report the diagnosis, with the GP’s agreement.

Our big problem is that she doesn’t remember any of that, and Dad insists on maintaining her car and won’t “lose” her car keys.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Hav you informed he DVLA and his insurance company? You absolutely Must.
How do you think the GP could have put it any better? He put it clearly and plainly.
What do you feel about it? You say above That ''taking his keys is off the mark as he still has a lot of comprehension and capacity'' Then you must use that factor to remind his that he isnt to drive- you take his keys and you tellhim why - Doctor says you cannot drive for now

Its not that he forgets, or doesnt understand- he just doesnt want to accept it

MissFloopster

Sep 9, 2023
Hi Jude, we had the same situation ... my husband in denial about his illness AND the driving. The first time "no driving" was brought up by the geriatric doctor at the Memory Center here, with zero empathy and it caused a lot of anger and distress for my husband. I arranged for a driving test for my husband, which he passed. A couple of months after that, we had a discussion with our GP who, although sympathetic to us both, explained that she - as the family doctor and aware of the situation - could be held liable if my husband would cause an accident and would be found incapable. She also explained that our insurance would likely not pay out anything in that case. I'd never looked at it from that perspective and agreed with her and said I'd plan another driving test. Luckily for my husband, the situation sorted itself out soon after that (and before the 2nd driving test, which he probably would have failed) as he drove an old Saab that had many defects. The garage told him that it would be costly and difficult to get all the parts (and I asked them beforehand to exaggerate a bit the costs etc.). My husband then came to the conclusion himself that he would no longer drive the car and we had it destroyed. The driving issue did not really come up after that.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Jude-Shaw

The DVLA has to be informed about a diagnosis of dementia - it is a mandatory requirement. If the DVLA and the insurance company has not been informed and he is in an accident then he will not be covered by his insurance. If he wont inform the DVLA, then you can do it, but DVLA has to be informed.

Having a diagnosis of dementia does not necessarily mean that you cannot drive. Its the DVLAs decision whether to allow people to continue (usually with a years licence that has to be renewed each year), or to remove the licence. Sometimes they ask for a driving assessment. It is also possible to appeal the decision, which usually involves a driving assessment as well.

But dont let him continue to drive without informing the DVLA

Skylark/2

Aug 22, 2022
Hello @Jude-Shaw ,,
Totally recognise your problem.
Our DIL reported my O.H and once the letter arrived from the D.V.LA he went ballistic! I told him it must have been the dr. from the memory clinic to save family arguments.
My O.H decided to go for the driving assessment, confident he would pass……he didn’t! It was then the ‘ fault ‘ of the assessors who ‘ were rubbish, didn’t know what they were talking about’ etc., I know that there is an appeal system ( you pay for that ) but I have never told him. I just made sympathetic comments ( I know it’s a big thing , taking away independence etc., ) but was quietly relieved. That was about 6 months ago, sadly my husband is verbally abusive , and still accuses me of ‘ swanning around ‘ in ‘ his’ car and will on occasions demand my car keys so I am unable to drive.
Apologies, no advice but agree with suggestions on previous posts. Sending lots of sympathy and good luck

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Good morning,

When dad was diagnosed the consultant told me to let him know if I ever became concerned about dad's driving but luckily dad decided to sell the car anyway. He loved driving and I was very sad to see another part of him go

MaNaAk

NickP

Feb 23, 2021
My dad's license was up for renewal shortly after he was diagnosed, so thankfully we had the option of simply not renewing. We had informed the DVLA & insurance, and told dad the doctor & dvla said he couldn't drive. He was furious & frequently said it was rubbish & that he was perfectly capable of driving.
He was fixated on driving & the car and some of his most challenging behaviour has been linked with this.
Do think about taking/'hiding' the keys. My mum didn't at first and one day Dad took the car in a fit of anger. Police involved etc but thankfully no -one harmed. Police chose not to prosecute but told us we must take the keys.
It's so hard but anger and fixation about stopping driving seems to be a common theme.

Kath610

Apr 6, 2022
Maldon, Essex
Hi there, I had this issue with my husband (Alzheimer’s) last year. His driving skills were awful and going worse but he wouldn’t give into it.
I got onto the memory clinic who had given him the diagnosis - they told me about a driving assessment centre near us (Colchester) who are not part of the DVLA but do assessments for people not just with dementia but who have life changing accidents and physical difficulties or medical conditions. I Googled them, found out a bit more about them, then told my husband that the doctor at the memory clinic had referred him and that it was compulsory. This was totally untrue but my husband didn’t know that and the blame was shifted onto the doctor, not me.
We arranged an appointment for an assessment, took a run out to see exactly where the centre was and in the course of the journey my husband chickened out and said he wouldn’t go.( Even if he had taken the assessment he wouldn’t have passed so the result would have been the same). I said it was either that or give up his licence - nothing to do with me, not my fault!
After much debate and discussion, we went through it many times and he decided to give the licence up - I made a big show of “It’s YOUR decision, not mine, I am not pushing you into this. I know it’s a huge decision and well done for facing up to it “ , blamed the memory clinic and the DVLA and filled in the online forms the same day.
We had 3 cars, got rid of 2 of them and transferred ownership and insurance for the remaining one to me. My husband still whinges from time to time but I remind him that it was his decision , I did not force him to do anything and that it was a legal requirement from the memory clinic and the DVLA.
Sneaky yes, but it got the result and I didn’t get the blame.

Last edited:

Skylark/2

Aug 22, 2022
Hi there, I had this issue with my husband (Alzheimer’s) last year. His driving skills were awful and going worse but he wouldn’t give into it.
I got onto the memory clinic who had given him the diagnosis - they told me about a driving assessment centre near us (Colchester) who are not part of the DVLA but do assessments for people not just with dementia but who have life changing accidents and physical difficulties or medical conditions. I Googled them, found out a bit more about them, then told my husband that the doctor at the memory clinic had referred him and that it was compulsory. This was totally untrue but my husband didn’t know that and the blame was shifted onto the doctor, not me.
We arranged an appointment for an assessment, took a run out to see exactly where the centre was and in the course of the journey my husband chickened out and said he wouldn’t go.( Even if he had taken the assessment he wouldn’t have passed so the result would have been the same). I said it was either that or give up his licence - nothing to do with me, not my fault!
After much debate and discussion, we went through it many times and he decided to give the licence up - I made a big show of “It’s YOUR decision, not mine, I am not pushing you into this. I know it’s a huge decision and well done for facing up to it “ , blamed the memory clinic and the DVLA and filled in the online forms the same day.
We had 3 cars, got rid of 2 of them and transferred ownership and insurance for the remaining one to me. My husband still whinges from time to time but I remind him that it was his decision , I did not force him to do anything and that it was a legal requirement from the memory clinic and the DVLA.
@Kath610, Our assessment centre is close to Liverpool and we too had a run out to familiarise him with the area. He’d agreed to go for the assessment and I remember emphasising that if he failed ‘ don’t blame me, it was your decision’. and that the DVLA had been contacted and were aware. He failed the assessment……..wasn’t happy at the outcome!
I get the blame for lots of things but not that!

vivian t

Jun 4, 2022
My husband went for the assessment without any trouble as he still had the capacity to realise he wasn't safe on the road. The assessors were lovely and after a drive around and some questions they gently explained he couldn't drive anymore. I drove home, we sold his car and he never mentioned it again. At least it was one thing that went without a hitch. However he won't get in the car now, I think he's frightened of it. Maybe I need a driving assessment !:)

Kath610

Apr 6, 2022
Maldon, Essex
Hi @Jess2023 I saw your post today so am referring you to this thread - hope you pick it up and that it’s useful

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFrazer