Drinking alcohol seems to make dementia symptoms much worse

NP in Texas

Nov 30, 2020
My 87 year old dad is exhibiting mild undiagnosed dementia issues (mostly not knowing which day it is, bad with names, and repeating conversations). Until now, I had not been too worried, as he was still functioning independently on a daily routine.

I live in the US, and try to visit him in the UK as much as possible. When I visit, we like to have a few whiskies together. On my most recent visit, after a few drinks he didn't know who I was, and was hallucinating. This occurred several times and has got me really freaked out.

I realize that the first course of action is to get him to stop drinking alcohol, and perhaps get vitamin B1 supplements. He doesn't realize this is an issue, because the following day he isn't aware of his change in behavior when drinking.

Has anyone else encountered this? Mild dementia when sober / much more significant dementia with alcohol?

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
The Banjoman with Lewy Body Dementia was told by the Drs. that alcohol was not a good idea. As an ex-publican who enjoyed a whisky Mac as a nightcap this wasn’t received too happily but I think he cut out most alcohol.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
My mum got very argumentative after a few glasses of wine so we used to dilute it. We added soda water to white wine to make “Prosecco” and a fruit juice to red wine as she could tell if it was non alcoholic wine. Now in the care home, we supply bottles of wine for her and they serve her a small glass with her evening meal, she loves it!

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello and welcome to the forum @NP in Texas.

The fact that alcohol doesn't mix well with dementia has been discussed many times on the forum(I have often contributed to the threads in the past).

If you use the search facility at the top of the page you should be able to find a great many threads and I hope you can find something of help in them.

I wish you and your dad all the best.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I used to have a whisky with dad before bed as he liked a tot. I would have a bigger tot than he had. I was happy for him to have a whisky because he had cancer too and it was his last enjoyment really.

I don't think it ever effected dads dementia but in truth he thought that everything I gave him was a whisky or a beer. He couldn't tell the difference in the end. I agree it would be a good idea to dilute it with water or maybe pep it up with a large helping of ginger ale (non alcoholic) See if he notices the difference and maybe switch him to plain ginger ale.

NP in Texas

Nov 30, 2020
Thank you for all your input. I'm still trying to figure out all I can about dementia (it feels like a nightmare I can't wake up from), and this forum is very helpful!