Drawing Awareness To Lesser Known Symptoms Of Dementia

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Good morning everyone!

When I first became a carer I was aware of the possibility of dad no longer recognising, wandering and wanting to 'go home'. I noticed things being put in odd places and seeing people who were not there right from the beginning but I was wondering whether in our next television adverts the Alzheimer's Society could include lesser known symptoms such as talking about dead relatives, constant repetition and agitation. My recent communication with relatives upset me because it shows that there is still a long way to go but on the bright side I did enlighten them and they are more aware of these more upsetting symptoms.

MaNaAk

Angel55

Oct 23, 2023
Good morning everyone!

When I first became a carer I was aware of the possibility of dad no longer recognising, wandering and wanting to 'go home'. I noticed things being put in odd places and seeing people who were not there right from the beginning but I was wondering whether in our next television adverts the Alzheimer's Society could include lesser known symptoms such as talking about dead relatives, constant repetition and agitation. My recent communication with relatives upset me because it shows that there is still a long way to go but on the bright side I did enlighten them and they are more aware of these more upsetting symptoms.

MaNaAk
💗 Hello

Forgetting people close to someone, loosing things, wandering and getting lost are always those things that people associate with dementia illnesses, me included.

Actually as you rightly point out there are other things that are maybe are not so much thought of.

It is how those are transcribed into television adverts without scaring people witless I suppose and there is the argument that people will just close themselves off from the adverts entirely, which would be counterproductive.

It is the balance that must be right but I think it is doable definitely.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
💗 Hello

Forgetting people close to someone, loosing things, wandering and getting lost are always those things that people associate with dementia illnesses, me included.

Actually as you rightly point out there are other things that are maybe are not so much thought of.

It is how those are transcribed into television adverts without scaring people witless I suppose and there is the argument that people will just close themselves off from the adverts entirely, which would be counterproductive.

It is the balance that must be right but I think it is doable definitely.
Yes and also most people only really think of Alzheimer's when it comes to dementia but not the other types of dementia such as Vascular or Lewy Bodies. I remember @,jennifer1967 bringing this up on another thread some time ago.

MaNaAk